Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU Accelerator to Cloud Amazon S3

Masami_Katsuno
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi experts,

How does Accelerator work when I do full backup and store the data on Amazon S3?

I guess that only changed block will be sent to Media server and media server also will send the changed block to S3 and then do the thyncetic full.

Correct?

4 REPLIES 4

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

From http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH196113

Accelerator is a new feature in NetBackup 7.5 that combines the benefits of the O/S file system change journal, an Accelerator Track Log, deduplication and optimized synthetic backups.  This minimizes the need to scan the entire file system for modified files (on Windows), minimizes the amount of data that needs to be backed up, and creates a synthesized full backup in approximately the time it takes to create an incremental backup.  On volumes that do not change significantly, the backup may complete in 1/10th, 1/20th, 1/100th, or even less time.  The performance gain is typically greatest for full backups, but may also benefit incremental backups.

So basically you are right.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/frequently-asked-questions-netbackup-accelerator

According to the link above client side deduplication is not supported with S3, but accelerator is. This mean accelerator will work on a file basic not block.

Masami_Katsuno
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi Nicolai,

> accelerator will work on a file basic not block

What does work mean at this situation?

There are two processess on Accelerator I beleve.

1. Detect the changed files.

2. Detect the changed segments from the chsanged files and send those segments.

According to the link, Accelerator detects changed files and send the changed segments from those files to media server.

This means that Media server only send the changed segment to Amazon S3 without client deduplication, I think.

Is my recognition correct?

Below is the statment from the link.

NetBackup Accelerator makes this possible by making use of a platform and file system independent track log to intelligently (there are a number of intellectual properties associated with this technology) detect changed files and send the changed segments from those files to media server.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

No - I don't think so.

When we read about accelerator is most often mean vi talk client side dedupe at the same time. But in this senarios with S3  we are without client-side deupe. Accelerator detect the files changed - but it's the job of client side deupe to find and send the changed segments in the file.

Best Regrad

Nicolai