cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU Backup flow of control

gumbo
Level 4

Hi,

I have a question about netbackup's flow of control during a backup. Suppose I have a master and media server (media connected to tape libraries) on one network, and a client server on another network with TCP/TP connectivity enabled.

Does the master server and the client have to reside on the same network in order to perform backups/restores? If it doesn't reside on the same network, how is the data from the client stored in the tape libraries? Does the client connect to the master server, then the data is sent to the master then transfered to a media server to allocate it towards a tape library?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hi Gumbo.

Lot's of questions :D

Server does not need to be on the same network. Different networks need however to be connected by routers. A default gateway need to be defined on all server connected to the network (see next section).

I an event of restore or backup where the client is on a diff-rent network, the server will recognize that the destination client does not reside on the same network and send the data to the router. The router then passes data to the client (this is very simplified).

In a event of restore the client connect to the master server, the master server initiate the restore on the media server and the media server connect to the client with the requested data.

This link may help understand how network are connected:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/exploring-tcpip-routers.html

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hi Gumbo.

Lot's of questions :D

Server does not need to be on the same network. Different networks need however to be connected by routers. A default gateway need to be defined on all server connected to the network (see next section).

I an event of restore or backup where the client is on a diff-rent network, the server will recognize that the destination client does not reside on the same network and send the data to the router. The router then passes data to the client (this is very simplified).

In a event of restore the client connect to the master server, the master server initiate the restore on the media server and the media server connect to the client with the requested data.

This link may help understand how network are connected:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/exploring-tcpip-routers.html

gumbo
Level 4

Helpful article. Thanks :)