cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU Catalog Backup to a device not owned by the NBU Master

Ron_Cohn
Level 6

We have virtualized our NBU environment (1 master and 3 media) with the exception of 1 of the media servers.  This is due to FC connectivity.  My problem is this:  How do I do a catalog backup (hot or vault) thru the media server which owns the tape robotic?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

The tape library is a resource managed by the media server and should be listed as a storage unit. Just assign the storage policy to the tape library in your backup policy. The catalog backup then gets transfered to the media server and it spins the backup to tape.

View solution in original post

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As Andrew says it will work - the Media Server owns the tapes and the Storage Unit - just direct the job to that STU and the catalog tape pool and it will be fine

Bear in mind that this will pass the catalog data over the network to the media server.

Also bear in mind that in a DR situation you need THAT media server for the restore of the catalog - alternatively you will need to set the force restore over-ride for the media server in the Master Servers host properties before you try the catalog recovery

But other than the above couple of points it is fine

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

The tape library is a resource managed by the media server and should be listed as a storage unit. Just assign the storage policy to the tape library in your backup policy. The catalog backup then gets transfered to the media server and it spins the backup to tape.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As Andrew says it will work - the Media Server owns the tapes and the Storage Unit - just direct the job to that STU and the catalog tape pool and it will be fine

Bear in mind that this will pass the catalog data over the network to the media server.

Also bear in mind that in a DR situation you need THAT media server for the restore of the catalog - alternatively you will need to set the force restore over-ride for the media server in the Master Servers host properties before you try the catalog recovery

But other than the above couple of points it is fine

Ron_Cohn
Level 6

Here is the beauty of virtualizing our NBU environment:  replication.  We are replicating our VM's to our DR site, so I will never have to do a DR restore.  Our tape solution is used for archival purposes only...

BTW, I had been getting error code 96 all day.  However, once I posted the question and received a response, the error code vanished!

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

For future reference, bookmark this URL to troubleshoot status 96: 

Status 96 wizard: 
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answers&type=wizard&wizardid=NBU090&wizardstepid...

Good to see that you have marked a split solution...