cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU Catalog Migrate from 7.0.1 to 7.7

BalajiP
Level 3

Hi Team, 

We are planning to upgrade NBU Master 7.0.1 to 7.7 and then to 8.1. Currently NBU 7.0.1 is running on Windows Server 2003 32 bit Operating system. As we are targeting NBU to latest version 8.1 which does not support 32 bit OS, we must perform a clean installation of 64 bit OS Win2003 and then plan for upgrade. 

1. If i directly perform clean install of Windows server 2008 R2 64 bit OS on the same server and install NBU 7.0.1

The quetstion here is, can i restore NBU 7.0.1 (Windows Server 2003) catalog in NBU 7.0.1 (Windows Server 2008) ?

Please advise

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, you can restore NBU catalog 7.0.1 from one Windows flavor to another, even 64-bit one, provided it's still NBU 7.0.1, however you have to maintain paths, watch out for Program Files correct name if you use default path

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Mouse

Yes, you can restore NBU catalog 7.0.1 from one Windows flavor to another, even 64-bit one, provided it's still NBU 7.0.1, however you have to maintain paths, watch out for Program Files correct name if you use default path

Marianne

As per above reply, you can certainly restore catalog on same NBU version and same OS 'family' (Windows).
Master server hostname and installation path must be the same.

See this TN for details:

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master servers as part of a hardware refresh 
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000041076

Thank you very much Mouse and Marriane.

I have few more queries:

1)Could you provide me the link to download 7.0.1 release package.

2) Is it possible to do catalog migration from 7.0.1(Windows server 2003 32-bit) to 7.7 version( Windows server 2008 64-bit)?

Mouse

You can get binaries at your licensing portal

https://www.veritas.com/support/ -> Licensing -> Downloads -> choose 7.0

You need to upgrade NetBackup in order to migrate catalog, check 7.x upgrade portal http://www.veritas.com/docs/100021994

You can't just "migrate" 7.0.1 catalog to 7.7, you need to follow the upgrade procedure. 

Marianne
@BalajiP
Have you had a look at the TN in my previous post?
Catalog recovery can ONLY be done to same NBU version and patch level.

I seriously doubt that anything older than 7.7 will still be available on Veritas website due to EOSL.
Hopefully you have the software somewhere on a fileserver or dvd...

Mouse

All versions from 7.0 to 8.1 are available in VEMS, I've just checked for a customer who has current 8.1 license and they can download all previous versions starting from 7.0

Marianne

@Mouse this is good news. Apologies for my ignorance, but is VEMS a separate website? 

I can only see NBU 7.7 and later in Support -> Licensing -> Entitlements.

*** EDIT ***

Okay, so  Veritas™ Entitlement Management System (VEMS) is the term for licensing entitlements (where I can only see current versions using our Partner NFR Entitlement).

I also assisted a customer in Nov with upgrade from 7.5 to 8.0.
We had to document failback plan which involved reinstallation of 7.5. 
They were also unable to find 7.5 under their entitlement.

Wonder why your customer can see previous versions and others can't.
Going to check again right away...

Thank you very much Marriane and Mouse.