cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU Client OS upgrade

ydavid1
Level 3

Good Day, I upgraded my Windows OS from 2008 to 2012 R2 (64 bit).  My NBU client is currently 7.6.0.4.  The master server hosting the client is also 7.6.04 (this is a lab environment, not production).  The client is not communicating with the master after the upagrade.  Can NetBackup 7.6.0.4 backup up a Windows 2012 client.  I found a Veritas SCL that says yes. 

6 REPLIES 6

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

yes, NetBackup Client v7.6.0.4 should run just fine on Windows 2012 R2, but it sounds like your Windows OS upgrade broke an application (NBU Client) - but then again, no surprise there.

Was the original Windows 2008 OS 32-bit or 64-bit?

I'm curious, did you stop the NetBackup Client before performing the OS upgrade?

I think your only option is to fully un-install the client and re-install the client.

The NetBackup services were not stopped before or during the upgrade (win2k8 was 64 bit).  I will uninstall and re-install the NBU client.   I will send an update once I complete the task.  

Thank you

Another thing to check would be the Windows firewall settings. It is possible that the upgrade has enabled the firewall or reset any custom ports you previously had open. 

Bessam
Level 4

Hello,

As first step, it's highly recomanded to upgrade your Netbackup environment to newest version of Netbackup or at least 8.0. Version 7.5, 7.6 and 7.7.x, are no longer supported.

You can verify compatibility in https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/NB_80_OSSCL

After that, retry test communication and keep us informed.

iVaibhav
Level 4

An Uninstall and Reinstall of Netbackup Client should do the job.

BTW, what is the Error code ? is it 58 ?

EthanH
Level 4

As others have suggested, a re-install should do the trick.

Try running bpclntcmd -pn from the client, and see if it returns the master server's name. If it is unsuccessful, check OS-level communication (ping, nslookup, tracert, etc.).

If they work, but bpclntcmd -pn fails, check the BPRD logs on the master server. This will tell you whether the master server is rejecting the connection, as well as what the master server recognizes the client's hostname as. This is more of a factor in 8.1+ with certificates, but it's possible that the master server is rejecting the connection because it doesn't recognize the client's name.

Finally, check the registry on the client under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Veritas/NetBackup, and ensure that the SERVER entry specifies your master server, and that CLIENT_NAME specifies your client's hostname.