Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU De Duplication on 7.0.1

RohitNayal
Level 5
Certified
Hi All ,

In our backup environment we are trying to use the NBU  Media server side De dupe technology , can we use the basic disk storage unit configured on media server as the destination storage unit of the De dupe .
master server : windows 2008 R2 / NBU 7.0.1 /64 Bit /16 GB RAM
media server : windows 2008 R2 / NBU 7.0.1/64 Bit /16 GB RAM

Also can we use the disk staging schedule to copy those dedupe images from disk to tape and still we will be able to perform the restore either from tape or from disk  ( I also doubt on my this statement smiley  )

Regards ,

Rohit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Rohit

You could use the same disk if you wish - it won't be the same storage unit - the issue here is free space cauculations and you don't want two different things using the same disk or they will both get confused

It is also best practice to out the de-dupe database component on fast disk (so data goes on SATA and DataBase goes on SAS for example)

You cannot use disk staging for de-dupe - you will need to set up LifeCycle policies (which are far more efficient anyway)

It will be the SLPs that duplicate the de-dupe from disk to tape and you will be able to restore from either (depending by default on which is the primary copy)

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Rohit

You could use the same disk if you wish - it won't be the same storage unit - the issue here is free space cauculations and you don't want two different things using the same disk or they will both get confused

It is also best practice to out the de-dupe database component on fast disk (so data goes on SATA and DataBase goes on SAS for example)

You cannot use disk staging for de-dupe - you will need to set up LifeCycle policies (which are far more efficient anyway)

It will be the SLPs that duplicate the de-dupe from disk to tape and you will be able to restore from either (depending by default on which is the primary copy)

Hope this helps

RohitNayal
Level 5
Certified

Hi Mark ,

Please correct me if I am wrong if I setup a DAS or SAN disk attched to the Media Server and on that disk I create a Basic Disk storage unit and will perform the Dedupe on that basic disk and configure the storage life cycle policy for copying the data from Basic Disk to Tape , than as per your statement still I am able to restore the data which one is primary .

Regards ,

Rohit

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No, Dedupe disk is not configured as Basic Disk.

Please go through the following two documents to see how to configure dedupe disk. (Careful planning is key to success.)

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

As i and Marianne says - bacis disk cannot be used a de-dupe

You need to create a new de-dupe disk volume / pool

It will be a dedicated volume containing all of the data plus preferably another location for its database etc.

RohitNayal
Level 5
Certified

Thanks Marianne and Mark ,

I have tested the Dedupe function after adding the PDD key on my NBU master server and configured a test dedupe storage unit configiured on Media server , below is the logs result which shows Dedupe function is working fine .

28/08/2012 15:42:45 - Info xxxxxx(pid=6360) StorageServer=PureDisk:xxxxxx; Report=PDDO Stats for (xxxxxxx): scanned: 4693675 KB, stream rate: 255.29 MB/sec, CR sent: 24273 KB, dedup: 99.5%, cache hits: 36573 (99.5%)

28/08/2012 15:42:46 - end writing; write time: 00:02:01
the requested operation was successfully completed(0) 

Could you please answer on my last query if I configured the Storage unit on either on Data Domain or NBU appliances than I don't think I can use both the media server de dupe or the appliance de dupe both , as it will not make any major difference

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

When using a DataDomain the de-dupe will be done by the DD appliance itself so you dont get the client side or media server side de-dupe.

When using a N52** appliance it is itself a Media Server and so can do client side or media server side de-dupe

When using a N50** appliance it is a puredisk appliance so you can do client side, media server side or appliance side de-dupe.

If possible client side will always give you the best backups - especially with NBU 7.5 and using the accelerator, so you loose those abilities when using DD although the OST plugin will be supported eventually.

Wondering why you have marked your question as the solution?