Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU Duplication from Disk to Tape

Silvan
Level 3
Partner

Hey all,

A few weeks ago my tape drive blew up and needed replacing.  I currently have my exchange backup set to backup to disk and then duplicate to tape.  This is working fine for current jobs, they are duplicating and in the status screen of the job under File List it shows the file that was duplicated to disk.

However i'm getting Duplication failures in my Activity Monitor all day long, the File List under the jobs is blank so I'm starting to think NBU is trying to Duplicate files that used to be on the disk but got manually deleted due to disk space running out when my tape library was out of commission for over a week.

Is there any way to get rid of these Duplication attempts?  If my theory is way off, then any other ideas of why this is happening?

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

When you want to remove active backup on disk or tape do a :

bpexpdate -d 0 -backupid {hostname_123456}.

This will delete the image from disk (or tape) and while maintaining the Netbackup catalog consistent.

RonCaplinger
Level 6

What method are you using to duplicate your data from disk to tape?  Vault?  Or Disk Staging (DSSU)?  Or Storage LifeCycle policies?

And what is the failure error?

Silvan
Level 3
Partner

THanks Nicolai I'll try your command.

Ron - i'm using Storage LifeCycle policies  First set to backup to a disk storage unit (capacity managed) and then duplicate to the tape drive.

As for the failure error i'm getting, I'm actually getting

"unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available(96)"

However there is media available - all my other backups are working daily some go directly to the tapes, and the others are being duplicated with the same storage lifecycle policy as above and are working just fine.

RonCaplinger
Level 6

Double-check all of the SLP's you are using and make sure you have the Storage Unit and Volume pool specified correctly.  It sounds more like one of the SLP's may be trying to pull a tape from the wrong pool, or the particular tape library you are using for one SLP is different than the others and maybe it doesn't have any tapes of the correct density (HCART/HCART2/HCART3, etc.) assigned to the correct pool or to your scratch pool.

Silvan
Level 3
Partner

Doh, that was it.  I'm no longer using one of the pools I was using with the old tape library so there was no media assigned to that pool.