cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU Enterprise Server License V/s NBU Server License

Bachchan
Level 6

question 1. if I have 1 NBU Enterprise Server License can I use it to install on 1 server(phy/vir) as Master Server and 1 SEPERATE server(phy/vir) to install  as Media Server?

so on this case with 1 NBU Enterprise Server License I will  have 3 Tier installation of Master , Media and client Server?

and in the future if I have to add another media server to the environment will need NBU Server License?

thanks for help in advance..........

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Yes, if you have 4 licenses you can do 1 master and 3 medias.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

View solution in original post

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
All Enterprise licenses are good.
You cannot use NBU Enterprise Server and NBU Server license together.

NBU Server license is used for 2-tier environment: single master/media server with no other media servers or Enterprise clients. Only network clients backing up to the master.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

You don't say what licensing model you're using.  I'm going to assume traditional.  If that's the case, you can't do what you're describing. You need an Enterprise Server license PER SERVER.

From the Licensing Guide (which is pretty straightforwad and easy to consult, BTW) page 19

"NetBackup components (servers, clients, agents, and options) are licensed per physical system." 

That's taken from the "Blade Servers" context, but speaks to the point.  It doesn't matter if they're physical, virtual, blades, etc., if you're going to use a 3 tier architecture, each tier must be individually licensed.

If you're using Capacity licensing, that is included in your entitlement.  If using Traditional, you need to purchase separate licenses for each host.

Make sense?

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

thanks Charles for the quick response. Yes I was talking about Traditional License.

So just to confirm incase I want to have 3 Tier Installation I will need

1 Enterprise Server License (Tier specific)- Master

1 Server License (Tier Specific)- Media

Clients ( Depending on what client requires)

Correct?

actually 1 more question if I have 4 Enterprise Server License can I use it it deploy 1 Master Server and 3 Media Servers?

Yes, if you have 4 licenses you can do 1 master and 3 medias.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
All Enterprise licenses are good.
You cannot use NBU Enterprise Server and NBU Server license together.

NBU Server license is used for 2-tier environment: single master/media server with no other media servers or Enterprise clients. Only network clients backing up to the master.

Sorry, I should have called that out clearly. Marianne is spot on, no mixing of those license types.
Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances