cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU Instant Recovery and vmotion

spitman1
Level 3

I have a very small VMware environment--about 10 VMs--that lives on one ESXi host, and I am backing it up with a VMware policy. I was looking into Instant Recovery--spinning up a VM that was needed, then using vmotion to move the VM over into the ESXi environment... but I was told that we do not have vmotion capability. Someone else on the team had thought vmotion was a feature that came with our 5240 appliance (i.e. we could vmotion the vm back into place) but I thought this was a feature that vmware had to supply. Any tips or info, including links with info on this specific type of case would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

VMotion is a licensed VMware feature, not a NBU feature.  If you are not licensed for VMotion, IR storage VMotion of a VM back to your storage will not work, you'll have to do a restore.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

VMotion is a licensed VMware feature, not a NBU feature.  If you are not licensed for VMotion, IR storage VMotion of a VM back to your storage will not work, you'll have to do a restore.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances