cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU License Query

ontherocks
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

We have Capacity based licenses available for backup environment.

We are checking options to expand/increase tape drives in our backup environment.

I have checked the available licenses sheet as per this sheet "Library Based Tape Drive Option" is showing quantity as 4.

If we want to increase the tape drives beyond 4 than first we need to procure more licenses for the same ? am I correct ?

Please confirm...

Untitled.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

capacity based license work on amount of data that is being backup... it does not matter how many tape drives you configure..

since you have the license for tape drive it looks it is Standard (or “traditional”) modle.

if you have another license with capacity modle, you need not to worry about the license when you are adding the Drives, but need to worry about only when the abount of data being backup  is being exceed then the license.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RamNagalla

capacity based license work on amount of data that is being backup... it does not matter how many tape drives you configure..

since you have the license for tape drive it looks it is Standard (or “traditional”) modle.

if you have another license with capacity modle, you need not to worry about the license when you are adding the Drives, but need to worry about only when the abount of data being backup  is being exceed then the license.

ontherocks
Level 6

Thanks Ram for the prompt response.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please not that you cannot mix 'traditional' and Capacity license.

With Capacity you should have only ONE license key that covers all agent and options.

Why would you have drive licenses separately?

PS: 
You have a Partner badge next to you name - which means that you should have access to the NBU 7.6 Licensing Guide?

sdo

@ontherocks - it seems odd that you have a quantity based library license, but you say you have true capacity based licensing (by which I assume you mean one of the "Platform Base" editions).

BTW - there is one "traditional" licence which is metered in such a way that it can appear to be a "capacity" based licence, but in fact it is not a "Platform Base" edition license.  This license is the "Data Protection Optimisation Option" licence which is a "traditional" license which is capacity metered - and this license would not entitle a user to unlimited tape drives.

The two "Platform Base" licenses of "Platform Base Complete Edition" and "Platform Base NDMP Edition" do allow unlimited use of tape drives.

ontherocks
Level 6

Thanks all for the suggestions :)

I am getting confused :(

I have downloaded NBU 7.6 Licensing Guide from partnernet portal and will be going through the same.