cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU Media Manager through DMZ

K_Miller
Level 4

I'm getting ready to configure a NBU Master behind a firewall in a DMZ to communicate with Media Manager on a NBU Master that is on an internale corporate network.

Running NBU 7.6.0.2 on RHEL 6

Can someone quickly point me to a list of required ports to make this work.

The DMZ master server will maintain it's own catalogs. We simply want to leverage physical backup targets that are available from the corporate network.

Thx in advance!

-Kevin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I've been working with NBU since version 3.1.1. This has never been possible. In theory more than one master could share a single EMM server since NBU 6.0, but I have never seen anyone doing it in practice. Shared EMM server is no longer supported in 7.6.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
I'm not sure I quite understand. 2 separate master servers? There can be no media manager connection between 2 different master servers. If the dmz server will just be a media server, it is possible. But all catalogs are kept on the master. Port 1556 in both directions is required.

K_Miller
Level 4

This is possible... We had a similar configuration using NBU 3.4 some years ago where we had two master sharing a single Media Manager. It allowed us to share a single tape library and assigned media between the two masters.

I can't imaging that this would not be possible now. I'll get a case opened with Symantec...

Thx,

-k

Marianne
Level 6
I've been working with NBU since version 3.1.1. This has never been possible. In theory more than one master could share a single EMM server since NBU 6.0, but I have never seen anyone doing it in practice. Shared EMM server is no longer supported in 7.6.

K_Miller
Level 4

The legacy configuration was setup by Veritas support folks so I couldn't tell you how it was accomplished but it did work.

I've found the technote regrading the removal of Remote/Shared - EMM. Looks like we'll be moving it to a media server instead!

Thx for the follow-ups!

-k

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

EMM has to reside on the master server.

Marianne
Level 6

I am seeing the head of Symantec/Veritas training in EMEA this evening.
He was a Principal Consultant in the NBU 3.x up to 5.x days - will ask him about shared Media Manager between masters in pre-EMM days.
If any person knows HOW or IF this was possible in 3.4 days, it will be him....