cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU allows overwrite of tapes from another domain?

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

I have a customer with two NBU domains (two separate Master Servers) both with tape backups that are sent off-site. It seems that if they recall an unexpired tape for restore and put it in the library on the “wrong” site, it gets put into the scratch pool once the Robot Inventory and volume configuration have run which means it is very likely to be overwritten. Is this normal behaviour? 

Customer is concerned an operator error is likely to lead to data loss. Apart from the media write-protect switch, is there a way to stop NBU treating unknown NBU tapes as available new media? I think the Robot Inventory Advanced Options could help but I suspect this could also be error prone?

NBU seems to leave tar and CPIO etc. tapes alone by default and I always thought it did for NBU tapes if it wasn't sure. Thanks, Andrew

21 REPLIES 21

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

mph999, thanks for this. I'll see if the customer can use a checking script as you suggest plus phase in split barcodes between the two sites. Thanks again, Andrew

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You are most welcome.

As I say, I really cannot see such a change being made so if we can find some workaround, although not quite perhaps perfect, it gives an accceptable solution.