cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU client stop & start script

AlGon
Level 6

Hello,

It's seems the on access virus scan on the servers is having quite a negative effect on backup performance.

I would like to stop the virus checker on access scanning service each time a backup starts and completes.

Would using the bpstart_notify and the bpend_notify scripts on each client be the best solution? 

Why can’t these scripts just be based on the parent job instead of each individual stream? 

How do I get around the multstream issue, and has anyone got any example scripts they would like to share that show how this is achieved?

Many thanks,

Al

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

That is pretty lame. Here is a note on how to configure this type of thing in McAfee (just so the Sophos guy doesn't think you're nuts).

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56658

Unfortunately the issue with start and end scripts + mulitplexing is an age old issue. Just search the forum, there are loads of post on how to get it to work. You just need to build logic into it. Or you can try and use parent_start and parent_end scripts. Also a bunch of notes on the forum regarding those.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RiaanBadenhorst

Before going into scripts why don't you just exclude netbackup processes (bpbkar32) from virus scanning operations. Most virus software these days can do that i.e. add exceptions, create SAFE processes, etc

AlGon
Level 6

Hi Riann,

Yes, I found a technote listing the processes to exclude :).  However, if I exclude the NBU processes my understating is that the on-access scanner will scan the files being backed up\accessed by NBU as well.  Or is this not the case?

Cheers,

Al

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

I'm not expert on security, but my understanding of on-access scanning is that it starts to scan, when a file is accessed, and the exclusion list therefore tells it to NOT scan when its a trusted process.

AlGon
Level 6

Hi Riaan,

Thanks again for your help on this. 

I'm being told that this isn't the case (according to the Sophos Admin guy).  It looks like I might have to go down the scripting route and stop\start the on-access services during the backup. I'd rather not though.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

That is pretty lame. Here is a note on how to configure this type of thing in McAfee (just so the Sophos guy doesn't think you're nuts).

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56658

Unfortunately the issue with start and end scripts + mulitplexing is an age old issue. Just search the forum, there are loads of post on how to get it to work. You just need to build logic into it. Or you can try and use parent_start and parent_end scripts. Also a bunch of notes on the forum regarding those.

AlGon
Level 6

I had a quick look but can’t find anything similar in the Sophos config which is as you say pretty lame :(. 

I'll forward that link onto him.

Thanks again for all your help Riaan.

Cheers,

Al