Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU detecting 3 tape drives with 3 robots

mariz_c
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

We are currently configuring our Tape Library (IBM TS3100) in Netbackup, though we are seeing that there are 3 robots in one of the media servers. Could someone please let me know if this is correct, or if there should just be one robot for these 3 tape drives? I was told that this was logically configured so that the robot would see the tape drive on the other media server since they don't have SAN switch to present all the 4 tape drives on each server. Thanks! Please see attached image.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

you will probably see the same numbers on OS level (in Windows Device manager). It seems that robot can be accessed via every drive (it is configuration on library level - control path failover). Then you will see 3 robots on OS/NBU level - but these are only 3 paths which refer to the same 1 physical robot hand.

You can confirm this by checking Robot Serial Number - it should be the same for all "3 robots".

In other words, it is ok and it will provide better robot hand availability.

Michal

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mariz_c
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I am currently using Netbackup 7.6.1.

Marianne
Level 6
Please always tell us which OS. NBU needs the OS for device access, so, troubleshooting should start at OS level.

mariz_c
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Marianne,

It's running on Windows Server 2012 R2. Thanks!

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

you will probably see the same numbers on OS level (in Windows Device manager). It seems that robot can be accessed via every drive (it is configuration on library level - control path failover). Then you will see 3 robots on OS/NBU level - but these are only 3 paths which refer to the same 1 physical robot hand.

You can confirm this by checking Robot Serial Number - it should be the same for all "3 robots".

In other words, it is ok and it will provide better robot hand availability.

Michal