cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU expired images clear schedule

Dmitry_K
Level 4

We have a problem with NBU and a Synology storage. When NBU do backups, and clear old (expired) files – the backup dropped. It is very strange problem, so I want to change expire clear schedule in my NBU, perhaps to once in a week – and check, is it problem, or not.

How can I change clear expired schedule ?

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I'm not sure that I understand what the problem is.... 
What do you mean with "the backup dropped" ?

Image cleanup runs automatically after every successful backup session. If no successful backups ran in 12 hours, NBU will run a cleanup. Only this interval can be changed in Host Properties, not the automatic cleanup after each backup session.  

Why would you want the cleanup to only happen once a week? 

>>What do you mean with "the backup dropped" ?

-

Task fail with error 2074 (backup) or error 191 (duplication)

Critical bptm (pid=2208) image write failed: error 2060017: system call failed

Critical bptm (pid=2208) sts_close_handle failed: 2060017 system call failed

Error bptm (pid=9356) cannot write image to disk, Invalid argument

---

>>Why would you want the cleanup to only happen once a week? 

-

I want to check, is this problem with storage, or with something else.

Marianne

These errors have nothing to do with image cleanup. They are related to write errors during backups and read errors during duplication - all logged by bptm process on the media server.

Cleanup actions are logged by bpdm on the media server.

Best to ensure that bptm and bpdm folders exists on the media server(s) and that logging is set to level 3 at least.
(Only set logging level to 5 if you are opening a Support call with Veritas.)

You need to check bptm log and look for the relevant PIDs( in Job Details) to trace the issue with disk access.

>>These errors have nothing to do with image cleanup. They are related to write errors during backups and read errors during duplication - all logged by bptm process on the media server.

-

Let me explain. There are not NBU problems, this is a storage's problem.

For example, if I copy any files (or folders) from \\storage\share01 to \\storage\share02, all work correct, but only before I try to delete some files on any share, 1 or 2 (or perhaps another share, I did not check it). When I try to do it (copy one folders, and delete another folder) in the same time, I can see that copy speed fail down from 300 mb/sec to 0. It is very unusual situation, and I open ticket about it, but it is problem for using NBU with this storage too,  becouse large (3tb+) backups cannot be complete in any period between "erase expired" tasks.  I think that disabling of the regular clear could help, as a temporary solution before patch storage FW.

Marianne

You can read up in NBU Admin Guide I about Image cleanup interval and Catalog cleanup wait time

Just be aware that you will risk Disk Full condition if cleanup does not happen timeously. 

You may also want to ask yourself if Synology is the right choice for Enterprise backups...