cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU master and media servers on different plateform,

psingh
Level 4

I am making a setup for NBU such as I have master server on windows and its media on RHEL. While adding storage server I got error-

"Failed to create storage server storage_server, VxSS authorization failed"

I tried to solve it by change in bp.conf entries. entry in /etc/hosts. but the problem is still occuring.

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Storage is not for adding media server - you add OST storage servers using this utility.

First of all, ensure forward and reverse hostname lookup between master and media server.

Add Media server on Master server Host Properties as SERVER. Restart NBU on Master.

Install Media server software. Specify Master server hostname as Master and EMM server during installation.

Ensure that you add all necessary license keys (e.g. Server, Library based tape drives, SSO (if drives are shared)).

Add media server to EMM on master:

cd <install_path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\admincmd
nbemmcmd -addhost -machinename <hostname> -machinetype <type> -masterserver <master_hostname> -operatingsystem <os> -netbackupversion <version>

psingh
Level 4

I run the below command , and got error.

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbdevconfig -creatests -storage_server storage_server_name -stype NEC_HYDRA -media_server media_server-name

Is there something wrong

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Just in case ... check that you have added the Enterprise Disk licenses to you Media Servers as they are needed on every server for the command to work

Marianne
Level 6

Apologies - I misunderstood. I thought you were trying to add a new Media server.

In addition to Enterprise Disk license, you also need to have the OST plugin installed on your media server.

After installation, nbrmms needs to be restarted. At this point you should be able to list the plugin:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpstsinfo -pi

Your Appliance vendor should have given you a Configuration Guide detailing the exact steps to follow?

psingh
Level 4

I have plug-in installed, i restarted netbackup services. I have space in /tmp directory. all the entries in bp.conf file is correct. still same error VxSS authorisation failed.

Marianne
Level 6

Do you have NBAC configured in this environment?

Is this a new media server?
If so - have you checked if there is a firewall between master and media server? Or between media server and storage server? Is iptables disabled on the media server?

Have you tested it as 'normal' media server with a basic disk storage unit as a test?

Please run this on the master server from cmd and post output:

nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Did you check that the Media Server has the licenses installed?

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/get_license_key

Type L to see the licenses installed, specifyimng your Media Server if required

Do this on the Media Server - if you do not see the Enterprise Disk license then add it using the A option and then restart NetBackup on the Media Server

It is not sufficient to have the keys installed on the Master - these need to be on all Media Servers used as Enteperprise Disk Storage Servers