cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU restore from one server to another message "cannot connect on socket"

Michael_Glas
Level 3
Hi all,

I am using Netbackup 4.5 running on Solaris. I am trying to restore from one client to another client connected to a different master server and hitting some problems. On the gui of the new master server I have succesfully imported the image from the 2 tapes, then i can see the folder i want to restore. Under the restore tab i specify the new master, the original client as source client and the new destination client as the new client. When clicking on restore after some minutes i get a message specifying "cannot connect on socket". I have tried using the bpmedia command to import the db from the 2 tapes to the new server. Does anyone have any ideas about this procedure, or this error.

Many thanks,
Michael.
6 REPLIES 6

MayurS
Level 6
Are you overriding the Old master server ?
If you are restoring from another master server then in the New master server properties you should specify the old master server as override.

Michael_Glas
Level 3
Thanks for the response. I dont think this is entirely the case as i want to restore not only from a different master server but also to a different client on a different network. However i have tried it and it still doesnt work.
What i am in the process of doing now is using the rdist command to remotely copy these lost files back to the dr machine. After this is complete, i will create a new netbackup config to back this system up to ensure it does not happen again.
Unfortunately there is just no time to work out why the restore is failing. Undoubtedly i have done something wrong and i would have liked to have known what.

Cheers,
Michael.

MayurS
Level 6
Hi Michael,

you can get detailed information in the logs if you turn the logging level to 5 and then restore.

I disagree with the quote
I dont think this is entirely the case as i want to restore not only from a different master server but also to a different client on a different network
Concept :-
If backup is taken on master server A and needs to be restored to Master Server B then Master Server A has to be Overriden in the Master Server B properties.

Were you ever able to restore without overiding if you are restoring from a different master?
Let me know since i always have to go hunting for what might be the Master Server name of my OFFsite tapes. ;)

Michael_Glas
Level 3
I cant remember what happened here, but i am sure i hacked my way thru it :).

MayurS
Level 6
Did it worked without overriding ?

Michael_Glas_2
Level 3
I am sorry but i really cant remember what happened in this instance. I did end up working it out but how is a mystery. Apologies i should have updated this at the time.

I somehow lost my original account and had to create another account with same username but i no longer have access to the previous one. Hence i cant mark this as closed.