cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU - tape freeze timestamp

yong_look
Level 4

hi,

i am using NBU 7.0 and wonder is there any log that record the timestamp when a tape has been frozen? i'd look through all the logs under Tape reports under reports section but could not find any information on when was the particular tape been frozen

kidnly advise

yl

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

My guess is that it will be the last mount time.

Look at 'nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid <media-id>' output.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You could look in the bptm log (/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bptm or <Install_dir>\VERITAS\NetBackup\logs\bptm) and the Admin messages or syslog from the OS (for Windows - Windows Event Viewer System Log and Application Log )

Taqadus_Rehman
Level 6

You can check error logs as i had similar query in past and I found the message in the error log (logging level 0). Following is the workaround.

# pwd
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/error

# cat log_* | grep -i freezing
1239475677 1 132 16 server_xyz 2835460 2835450 0 client_abc bptm FREEZING media id L21234, it is write protected and cannot be used for backups

where server_xyz = master server and client_abc = client.

It gives you the timestamp of when the tape was frozen, as well as cause.

# bpdbm -ctime 1239475677
1239475677 = Sat Apr 11 11:47:57 2009

Marianne

At some point in time (probably NBU 6.5) the error log and/or bptm logs do not always contain the word freeze or freezing.

Some TapeAlerts will automatically freeze tapes and only TapeAlert can be seen in the logs.
See http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO33004

Example of personal experience:  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/no-log-tape-being-frozen#comment-5685751

yong_look
Level 4

hi all, sorry for the late reply.

yes, nbemmcmd -listmedia works perfectly. also, i am looking for a way to get the history log for the tapes as we wanted to track down if a media mentioned been frozen before, and when was it been frozen and un-freeze

thanks and regards

yl

Marianne

The information should be available in the NBU error log (Tape logs report), but NBU keeps this information by default for 28 days.

So, you may want to run Tape Logs report on a regular basis - filter out Info messages so that you have Warning and Error messages only.

monty_222
Level 4
Certified

I also faced same difficuly in noting down the Frozen Tape , but eventually u have to run the report every month to have a count and the Media ID report for the frozen tapes. 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You show in your signature as using Windows - that being the case just look at you Windows application logs, they are probably kept longer than the Netbackup logs and will show when there are tape issues along with the reason - find the event id number you are looking for, sort by event id and you have a history of the problems

Hope this helps

#edit# That being the event log on the media server that froze the tape