cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU v7 Discovery

Scott_K9
Level 2

Hello everyone,

I've just started a new project to analyse & document the backup environment at work.  We have a NBU 7.5 master server (no media servers I can see), and a BackupExec server (still trying to gain access to this & can wait awhile).

I'm starting on the NBU server, and I've already found the article TECH1672 which I'm going through the commands and pulling data.  I"m also looking at the GUI and taking screen shots. And I've gotten (most) of the admin guides for 7.5.

The NBU server is Windows 2003 R2 SP2 x64, running NBU 7.5.04 (Build 20120916)

I've been searching for some script (or several) that I can put together to gather the NBU information into a format that can be munged into a report. Just not wanting to re-invent the wheel on this.  I've found a few *nix scripts, that I'm trying to digest & figure out how to run in Windows (cygwin maybe?), or duplicate functionality in Windows with batch files, powershell, scripting.

So, if you know of any scripts that can generate reports about the jobs, clients, policies, etc... and put them into a better format to work on, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

There are inbuilt reporting already under reports. You can also install Opscenter which gives a huge amount of reports from failed jobs, successfil jobs, drive errors, client reports, media server reports and so much more.

View solution in original post

Nate_D1
Level 6

Outside of what revaroo said, I think you are on the right path. If you want to pull the data into your own custom reports, you will need to familiarize yourself with many of the bpxxxx type commands...bpimagelist, bpmedialist, bpgetconfig, bplist, bpplsched, etc. etc. etc. there are so many but provide a powerful way to pull data, and then you can compile it all once you have the data.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5182  Is another good command reference peice from symantec.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
How about running nbsu -c -t This script simply runs many NBU, and some OS commands, and creates 30 - 40 odd files. In each file, at the top it shows the command run to get the output. This covers probably the majority of the output needed to document a NBU system. nbsu at 7.6 is further improved and includes i believe an nbdb_unload, a copy of the NBDB sql database and a couple of other bits.

9 REPLIES 9

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

There are inbuilt reporting already under reports. You can also install Opscenter which gives a huge amount of reports from failed jobs, successfil jobs, drive errors, client reports, media server reports and so much more.

Nate_D1
Level 6

Outside of what revaroo said, I think you are on the right path. If you want to pull the data into your own custom reports, you will need to familiarize yourself with many of the bpxxxx type commands...bpimagelist, bpmedialist, bpgetconfig, bplist, bpplsched, etc. etc. etc. there are so many but provide a powerful way to pull data, and then you can compile it all once you have the data.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5182  Is another good command reference peice from symantec.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
How about running nbsu -c -t This script simply runs many NBU, and some OS commands, and creates 30 - 40 odd files. In each file, at the top it shows the command run to get the output. This covers probably the majority of the output needed to document a NBU system. nbsu at 7.6 is further improved and includes i believe an nbdb_unload, a copy of the NBDB sql database and a couple of other bits.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
A look at the TN you listed, it's very good but I think all of it is in nbsu -c -t ...

Scott_K9
Level 2

Thanks everyone!

You all 3 had great advice.  I've gotten alot more information with the "nbsu -c -t" command that I'm going through.

Found out we do have an OpsManager instance, just need to figure out where it's installed and see what reports I can find there.

And the bp* commands (with the command reference doc) are all coming in handy.

Just wish there was any easy way to dump the clients & schedules out & suck it into Excel or something to make a table of that data.

Nate_D1
Level 6

There are commands to pull just clients and schedules, but getting it into excel and formatted as you'd like would be the tricky part. As a curiosity, how many clients does this environment involve?

Scott_K9
Level 2

Nate.D

There are 33 clients and 29 policies (7 are disabled)

Several years ago, i came across an Excel file that someone made which had all the clients, policies & schedules in it.. Was really cool.

He said he kept it up to date with scripting & NBU command line tools.  Have no idea how he made it, or how it was kept up to date.

Scott

Nate_D1
Level 6

Just a thought, with that number of clients and policies, it might just be easier to keep track within NBU! Good luck with it all!

Scott_K9
Level 2

Yeah, it probably is. Waiting to get into the OpsCenter & see what reporting there is.

I figured out how to export the reports from the NBU admin console, so getting some b/u information into excel.