cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU workig with Data Domain on AIX 7.1

Carlos_V
Level 6

Hello everyone.

We have a Data Domain, model 4500 and we try to use DD Boost for Symantec NBU. But in this moment the configuration on the media servers has an issue. This is the problem:

Our  media server send the data over the LAN, this is because each server can't use the FC, we like to know if exist any restriction when NBU use a media server with OS on aix 7.1. The data in this moment is send over administration interface, 1 GBps, this is very slow.

We don't have 10 gigabit ethernet.

I really appreciate any information, recommentation or help to solve this issue.

I have a doubt, can I configure a SAN Client and send the data over FC? This client could be on any version of OS?

We use:

NBU 7.6.0.2 on the master and media server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
SAN Client is also not supported on AIX. Only on Linux and Solaris SPARC media servers. Best to check compatibility lists before backup storage is purchased.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Doesn't look like there's any FC support for DD4500 with AIX:

http://origin-symwisedownload.symantec.com/library/BUSINESS/xCL/TECH76495/nbu_76_hcl.html#ost_secondary_storage_solutions-ost_storage_servers-ost_storage_servers_-_vendor_compatibility-data_domain

Can't you bond some 1Gb copper LAN interfaces together on the DD?

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Had a good performance improvement on AIX by disabling the offload to the netcard, should be said that it is was on a client which was a powerVM.

Have not checked, but guess there are some recommended kernel and other settings/parameters for AIX media servers.

if you choose to trunk multiple nics, be aware of the etherchannel link/path choosing routine. Have had systems, that only used about 25% of the bandwidth because of the wrong routine on etherchannel.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
SAN Client is also not supported on AIX. Only on Linux and Solaris SPARC media servers. Best to check compatibility lists before backup storage is purchased.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Agree with SDO

No support on AIX 7.1 via FC, not even "EMC only". 

This is stated in the document called :

EMC® Data Domain® Boost Compatibility Guide

Its on support.emc.com - you need a login

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Good point Michael - re getting the correct bonding...

...I was recently told this, by a networking expert:

Balance-alb bonding might want to be avoided because balance-alb manages ARP replies from different hosts.  As ARP requests are only ever sent to devices on the local LAN ‘IP Subnet’ this means that balance-alb will only provide balancing for local IP addresses.  All other requests off of the subnet will go to the same NIC as they will all originate from the same source, i.e. the subnet’s gateway.

It is better to implement bonded resiliency and balancing by using LACP on Nexus switches and thus have the LAN switches load balance across the links to the backup appliance.  Using the ‘source and destination IP’ configuration will result in a fairly even distribution across both links.  Although the destination IP address will always be the same, the source will vary and thus result in some variation.

So, choose something like LACP 802.3ad if you can, instead of balance-alb if you can, especially if source and target are in different VLANs.

Carlos_V
Level 6

Thanks every one for your answers, it was vey helpfull for me.