cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU workig with Data Domain

Carlos_V
Level 6

Hello everybody.
Someone has any information about this configuration, NBU working with DD.
Our case is this:
NBU 7.6.02
DD 4500
10GB ETH: NO
We use 2 HBA's to DD and
2 HBA for each media server, we have 4 MS
Someone suggest how can I work using SAN Client, SAN Media Server or any alternative to maximize our enviroment

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I don't think SAN Client will be supported with DD - only full media server and SAN media server.

Can we assume that you will be using OST over FC?

You should be able to find documentation for DD with NBU on EMC web site.
Look for Data_Domain_Boost_Admin_Guide. 
This will give you DD as well as NBU config steps.

This White Paper has excellent best practice info:
https://www.emc.com/collateral/software/white-papers/h7296-data-domain-boost-openstorage-wp.pdf 

The NBU Guide is very generic, so you do need DD documentation as well.

NetBackup OpenStorage Solutions Guide for Disk 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6

I don't think SAN Client will be supported with DD - only full media server and SAN media server.

Can we assume that you will be using OST over FC?

You should be able to find documentation for DD with NBU on EMC web site.
Look for Data_Domain_Boost_Admin_Guide. 
This will give you DD as well as NBU config steps.

This White Paper has excellent best practice info:
https://www.emc.com/collateral/software/white-papers/h7296-data-domain-boost-openstorage-wp.pdf 

The NBU Guide is very generic, so you do need DD documentation as well.

NetBackup OpenStorage Solutions Guide for Disk 

Carlos_V
Level 6

Hi Marianne

Yes we use OST over FC. Also we have DD Boost.

Yes the NBU Guide is very generic.

Thanks for your help.

Marianne
Level 6
Let us know if you found the DD documentation and how your configuration is getting along. You will also need the DD OST plugins for each machine you will configure as media server (including SAN media servers). Download the plugins from EMC web site or request it from your DD reseller. You will find plugin installation details in the DD Boost Admin Guide. Ensure that the plugin version corresponds with supported version listed in HCL.

Carlos_V
Level 6

Hi Marianne,

Yes, I found the documentation.
We have another problem, we are using 5 media server, 4 of those media server has aix OS, and the last one has Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, 64 bits.

Can I use an aix server like SAN media server to send data over FC?, or I have the same issue using a SAN client?
I believe we have the same problem, so we need to to install another media server using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7, connect the server to the SAN on the same Zone of DD and configure the new server using DD Boost to backup via OST plugin at NBU.

Marianne
Level 6
As per my post of 10 April : I don't think SAN Client will be supported with DD - only full media server and SAN media server. So, the clients that you want to backup via SAN, will need NBU Enterprise Client license and installed with NBU media server software and DD plugin. Config them the same as full media servers. Pity your company did not check compatibility and features before deciding on a dedupe Appliance....

Carlos_V
Level 6

Thanks Marianne.

We have license by capacity, so we can configure others media server to solve the issue or install SAN media server as you recommend.

Have a nice day.

Jim-90
Level 6

Another method is to directly NFS export shares to a box and use the application built in backup facilites.  This method avoids NBU altogether.  Same for CIFS.   

DD has a plug-in for RMAN, this also avoids the use of NBU.  

The cases where NBU is not used means less work for the backup admins - it depends who manages the DD.  

With DD boxes make sure the data is going through the data NICs and not the admin interface.  Data can go through the admin interface and you may not be aware if it.