cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU7.0.1+ESX4.0:Snapshot could not be created with VMware method

sethu
Level 3

Hi All,

I am using NBU 7.0.1 to backup ESX4.0.I am able to  backup my Windows 2003 Server Std guest successfully for the ALL_LOCAL_DISKS directive.

The policy validation for file level backups is failing.I've used both the "Flashbackup_windows" with //./E: and "MS-Windows" with E:/ .

In both the cases the policy validation fails quoting

"Snapshot could not be created with VMware method"

I've tried all the recommendations provided by some of the forums on the same issue like:

1)updating the hosts file.

2)using VSS in Client attributes.

3)Installing VCB.

4)Using incrementals based on timestamps.

None of this has helped.The issue is not related to DNS since I am able to browse my Guest from my VMware Backup Host without any issue.

Please help.

24 REPLIES 24

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Why are you using VCB? Vstorage integration works great in version 7 and vsphere 4

R

Anonymous
Not applicable

The NBU Vmware guide 7.0 does state that to perform this specific type of backup you need to use VCB. So while its around its possible...

I thought this a bit strange but there is Appendix B which describes what sethu has setup.

From the 7.0 guide

The file-level backup capability described in this appendix requires VMware
VCB. VCB has been replaced by VMware vStorage APIs for Data Protection. Note
that VMware intends to phase out support for VCB.

Use the following procedure to make file-based backups of Windows drives, folders,
or files. Requires VCB software on the VMware backup host.

Summary points:

Policy Type = MS-Windows

Backup selection = E:\

Select Perform snapshot backups

Note: try using a mount point on a different drive letter other than C:\mnt

Note: install the latest release of VCB Framework 1.5 U2
http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_infrastructure_3/3_5

There was a gotcha in the last 12 months about exclude lists for the VMware backup host being applied to the mapped drive letters of a mounted virtual machine volume...might be worth looking into. But this would be after the backup is underway.

I'm not sure what validation is going on underneath...to give you error....

Create some logging directories on the vmware backup host

install_path\NetBackup\logs\bpVMutil {contains messages on Policy configuration and on restore}

install_path\NetBackup\logs\nbproxy {{contains messages on Policy configuration}

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi Stuart,

I'd still like to know why he is using this specific setup dont you think?

R

sethu
Level 3

Riaan,

Installation of VCB is required acc. to the NBU7+ VMware documentation.

Stuart,

I only have C:\ drive on the system.Its my only partition.Will this be a major problem?

Please reply.

Regards.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi Sethu,

I still dont understand, sorry, why you're not just using vstorage. What is forcing you to use VCB?

For VMGuest running on vsphere 4 with NBU 7+ you simply add the vcenter/esx hosts to netbackup master properties, provide the credentials, create a flashbackup for windows policy with ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and off you go.

You can zone the media server into the same zone as the disk containing the VMDK's, or if you dont want to, it pulls it across the LAN.

R

sethu
Level 3

Riaan.

VCB is required for file-level(individual drives,folders,files) backups of the Virtual machines acc. to the NBU documentation.Yes NBU 7 uses vStorage API's but still installing VCB is of no harm.

Stuart,

I only have C:\ drive on the system.Its my only partition.Will this be a major problem?

Please reply.

Regards.

Tim_Hansen
Level 5
Certified

actually Sethu, its not well documented but you do not need to use VCB to get file-level full and incremental backups of Windows VMs on ESX 4.0.

Change your snapshot settings to "Mapped Full VM Backup" and run your incremental schedule like normal, and you will be using the vstorage API to get a file-level incremental backup of the VM done without leveraging VCB. I had to call support to confirm this.

NOTE: You cannot select the checkbox for Block Level Incremental Backups (BLIB) on the Attributes tab unless the VM is a VMX7 virtual machine. If the VM is still VMX4, leave the checkbox unchecked.

sethu
Level 3

I can successfully backup the entire VM using ALL_LOCAL_DISKS directive.Now I wish to backup individual drives,files etc.From the NBU GUI on the backup-host I am able to browse the VM system for files and folders.

Unless I give "File Level snapshot using VCB" in the VMware method selecting individual drives and files is not possible in the Backup Selections tab.ALL_LOCAL_DISKS is the only option then.

I had installed VCB just to be on the safe side.

How can I go about it now?The policy validation is still failing frown

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi Sethu,

You have to use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES. This is fine in your situation. It'll backup C, and you can restore individual files (Full Mapped VM).

R

Anonymous
Not applicable

My suggestion abouot using a different mount point was only that. Something else to try. I doubt it will cause the policy validation to fail.

However, I would recommend that you should have a separate disk for the staging of the vmdk files. I believe this was a best practice under the NBU 6.5 + VCB setup.

Now of course VCB is going away and no need for staging as the move is to use vstorage api.

But I am in agreement with the other posts that you should use vstorage api. Or look to an alternate solution.

sethu
Level 3

I wish to backup indiavidual files and drives...not all the drives...

Is it possible to back up individual drives and files using the above Off-host back-up set-up..??

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

Cut and paste from NetBackup 7.0 Vmware Admin Guide

MS-Windows policy

The ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive backs up all data files on the virtual machines that are selected on the Clients tab. This directive does not back up the following:

■ Windows System State
■ Windows system files (such as on C:)
■ VMware virtual disk files

FlashBackup-Windows policy

The ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive backs up all data files on the virtual machines.
The ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive also backs up the following, if the snapshot option is FullVMbackup, Mapped full VM backup, or Full backup with file level incremental:
■ Windows System State files
■ Windows OS partitions that contain the Windows system files (usually C:)
■ VMware virtual disk files
See “VMware backup options compared” on page 44.
Note: If you chose value 1 or 2 for the Virtual Machine Backup parameter, ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES is the only entry allowed under Backup Selections.

You will be able to back other drives expect OS drive using file level snapshot using VCB. I think you should to check your Policy Configuration to get the validation successful. Checkout below logs as per stuart comments.

and also is that going via SAN, better say try All types available and try it.

install_path\NetBackup\logs\bpVMutil {contains messages on Policy configuration and on restore}

install_path\NetBackup\logs\nbproxy {{contains messages on Policy configuration}

sethu
Level 3

Actually I am backing up my E: drive and also some individual files and folders from the same drive.I tried all the different permutations and combinations in the VMware Method option.The Policy validation fails everytime.

And regarding the C: drive .I am not backing any of the C: drives:Its just my mount location is placed there. C:\mnt

Will this be a issue?

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

Include only E Drive and try backup; let us know outcome

sethu
Level 3

Tried many,many times...policy validation failsfrown

Tried both the policies:falshbackup-Windows and MS-Windows.same outcomecrying

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

Check out logs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Suggest on your backup proxy/backup host create the install_path\NetBackup\logs\bpfis log directory.

This logs issues when validating snapshot client configuration for policies.

I tested this and found what my problem was with a snapshot style policy.

If not much is written in here then increase the debug levels to 5 for General and Verbose setting of the backup host through it's BAR GUI and NetBackup Client Properties > Troubleshooting

sethu
Level 3

@Karthikeyan

install_path\NetBackup\logs\bpVMutil

install_path\NetBackup\logs\nbproxy

Both are absent on my systembroken heart.EXE files of the same name are present though.

@Stuart:Thanks.Ill try ur recocmendation.

Tim_Hansen
Level 5
Certified

If you wish to backup only selected drive letters, you may be better served installing a NBU client on the VM itself and backing up the data you require that way.