cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU7.0.1+ESX4.0:Snapshot could not be created with VMware method

sethu
Level 3

Hi All,

I am using NBU 7.0.1 to backup ESX4.0.I am able to  backup my Windows 2003 Server Std guest successfully for the ALL_LOCAL_DISKS directive.

The policy validation for file level backups is failing.I've used both the "Flashbackup_windows" with //./E: and "MS-Windows" with E:/ .

In both the cases the policy validation fails quoting

"Snapshot could not be created with VMware method"

I've tried all the recommendations provided by some of the forums on the same issue like:

1)updating the hosts file.

2)using VSS in Client attributes.

3)Installing VCB.

4)Using incrementals based on timestamps.

None of this has helped.The issue is not related to DNS since I am able to browse my Guest from my VMware Backup Host without any issue.

Please help.

24 REPLIES 24

teiva-boy
Level 6

+1 for Tim.  vStorage based backups, are an all or nothing affair.  You cannot selectively pick which drives (vmdk's) you want and which you want to exclude.  It's the entire host or nothing as far as I know.

If you want just the D: drive and not the OS (c:) then you are best served with a standard client in the guest OS.  Which should NOT cost you a dime.  If licensed properly, you have an Enterprise Client per physical host, which covers all virtual guests with an unlimited count.  WHich also entitled you to standard clients in those guests if you need it, at no cost.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Your statement is not completely correct, if you want to use the client inside the vm, you need a STD CLT license per host. Which doesn't cost much, but thats the correct licensing.

R

sethu
Level 3

Thank -you all for the replies.

Yes ,individual drives can be easily backed up with a NBU Client.I have done that too.

But for now its a specific requirement to back-up individual drives or folders using off-host set-up.The NBU documenatation says this is allowed for Windows 2003 Guests too.

From my VMware proxy server using the Back-up selections tab , I can successfully browse my Windows 2003 Guest drives.But the policy during validation fails.Its still not resolved.

One of the paragraph in the NBU 7.0 Release Notes says that file-level backups of VMware Windows guests may fail if they are not on first virtual Hard-disk of the ESX server.My Windows Guest is not on first HD.Can this be a issue?

Help.

seanwong
Level 4

Hi Sethu,

1. You mentioned about modify the host file (Work around), can you share the detail to me?
  2. Will the VM Guest automatically appears in the > NBU management > Host properties > Clients ?

(I am facing the vStorage backup issue. Using the Evaluate license which I think it has all the bundles)

Thanks

seanwong
Level 4

My issue is resolved. BLIB backup issue occurs. After upgraded the VM guest (VM hardware version) to version 7, incremental backup for VM guest works.

Just need to shutdown the VM guest, and perform upgrading via update manager in the VCenter.