cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBUPlugin & IVR used in conjunction with AIR

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have a site where AIR is configured and working fine between 2 sites. Each site is a seperate NBU Domain, and also has it's own vCenter.

Backups which have been replicated from Site A to Site B are visible and available for restore via the BAR GUI in both Site A and Site B.

The backups created on Site A are visible and available for restore via the NBUPlugin for vCenter on site A

I am able to ‘spin-up’ the backups created on Site A in IVR on Site A

All good so far………

The backups created on Site B are visible and available for restore via the NBUPlugin for vCenter on site B

The backups created on Site A (and replicated via AIR) are NOT visible nor available for restore via the NBUPlugin for vCenter on site B

I am able to ‘spin-up’ the backups made in Site B in IVR on Site B

I am NOT able to ‘spin-up’ the backups made in Site A (and replicated via AIR) in IVR on Site B

I am confused here as the catalog on Site B knows all about the backups which were made in Site A and sent across via AIR, and I can access them and restore them from the BAR GUI in Site B – but the NBUPlugin and the IVR process appears unaware of any AIR replicated backups. 

Should this work………  I assume so.

All NBU at 7602, with 5220 Appliances at 2602.

Thanks,

AJ

8 REPLIES 8

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I'm going to take guess and say that what you see via the plugin is probably a view of vm's in vcenter which are mapped back to the catalog / jobdb in netbackup. As the replicated vm's in the backup images have never been introduced to vcenter, they dont show up in the view?

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

OK - so how do I go about achieving my objective ?  If I restore them once (then delete them) will this work ?  Do I need to restore them or is there a quicker way ?

AJ.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hello

If my theory is correct then that won't work either as it still won't be in vcenter. You could try two things

1. What you suggested
  2. Take a test VM in a site, back it up, delete it from vCenter and check if it still shows up in the plugin.

This is just reverse engineering since we don't know how it works.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Think you would be able to IVR a VM from site A on site B, if you use the command line on the backup server as the first thing it does is create the VM. You might even be able to do through the Backup/Restore GUI on the backup server.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Michael,

When you issue the nbrestorevm command on Site B for a server backed up on Site A and AIR'd to Site B you get a Status 58 error - cannot connect to client.  It doesn't get as far as creating the VM, as the first step is to create the temporary files in the datastore.

As mentioned previously, you can restore no problem via the BAR GUI on Site B, it is just the NBPlugin tab which has no visibility of the backups and the nbrestorevm command which fails.

AJ

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

If you get a status 58, it seems like you are not connecting to a backup host on site B. Do you specify the vcenter server and backup host on site B in your nbrestorevm command ?

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The command issued was as follows:

nbrestorevm.exe -vmw -ir_activate -C vm-server-name -temp_location "datastore name" -R c:\vmrename.txt -vmproxy master-server-name

The master server has NFS client configured, the media server is a 5220 appliance (hence need to use a windows proxy).

The 2 jobs kick off in the Activity monitor and then fail with 58.

The config of the IVR environment itself is good as I can do this with a backup image made on the SITE B no problem - the problem only exists when I try it with a backup image made on SITE A and has been AIR'd to SITE B.

AJ

RiaanBadenhorst
Please post the job details