cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP Accelerator advise

nbutechie29
Level 3

Hi everyone,

I have an environment with Netbackup 7.5.0.4 on Linux hat currently makes backup of several EMC Cellera and NetApp NAS to Tape Library.

We are looking to improve our backup infrastructure for backup/restore performance. I will like to know if the NDMP Accelerator will be the solution in this case. and how much will be the initial cost to implement it? Do we need to pay only for licence or is there an additional applicance involved?

Is the NDMP accelerator suited to backup EMC Cellera and Netapp CIFS and NFS ?

Thanks for your quick reply

8 REPLIES 8

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

i would suggest you to reach out Symantec authorized reseller or symatec support to get those answered..

Maurice_Byrd
Level 4

nbutechie29,

I would recommend you work with a VAR to change your backup design.  I've recently started a similar project.  One thing to keep in mind with Accelerator, you won't see the benefit of Accelerator by going to tape.  Keep it on disk.  

You'll want an appliance for this one.  You can create your own by standing up media servers and connecting storage or just buy NBU appliances.  I prefer the NBU appliances because they are media servers and storage in one unit.  They also can be their own master servers. 

For my NDMP backups, I stood up a fiber network and am dumping the data directly to an appliance. You can use AIR as part of a DR strategy.  This will allow you to replicate the data to another NBU appliance located offsite. So if you have to failover, the data and catalog information will already be on the other appliance.

Hopes this gets you started...

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Netbackup Accelerator is only applicable for NetApp.

smurphy
Level 4
Employee Certified

There is no NDMP Accelerator. Yet.
Until then, using Accelerator and mounting the NAS volumes CIFS/NFS will work. 

I have not heard of any reason this will not work on EMC.  You are using a Windows or Unix client, he doesn't know the flavor of NAS.
Keep in mind, the initial baseline full backup will be slow.

nagavp
Level 4
Certified

NDMP Accelerator is a licenced one from EMC... this is not from Symantec..

C__Bryant
Level 3
Certified

That will work as long as you're not mixing CIFS/NFS mounts (making them available to both Unix and Windows).  The problem there is you can only restore one set of permissions.  The NAS share can handle both sets at once, but NBU can't figure that out.  So if you CIFS mount the share and back it up, you'll only get the NTFS permissions.

We are waiting with baited breath for an NBU way to do incremental forever backups for EMC NAS.  Right now we're stuck with Avamar, and we hate it.

teiva-boy
Level 6

There is Avamar from EMC that has an NDMP Accelerator, that can do a L0 initially, and a L1 forever via NDMP.

Symantec has their NBU Accelerator that works off of CIFS/NFS, and a journal file to track changes, and offer faster backups.

I think you are referring to the latter option.

Both are viable approaches to a common problem.  There is no one superior option.  One person's dislike for it, is subjective at best.  Though I know of more avamar NDMP success stories than failures.  But it's been in the wild for much much longer then the Symantec Accelerator.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Seems someone decided to revive a 3-month old post and in all this time, nbutechie29 did not respond to any of the replies....

NBU Accelerator support for CIFS/NFS shares is documented in this blog: 

Frequently Asked Questions on NetBackup Accelerator