Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP Accelerator on N5230

cmwong0921
Level 4

Hi ,

I would like to know the followings regarded to the abovementioned :

1) it is possible to configure NDMP accelerator on N5230 to backup NetApp CIFS shares with any other mount server ?

2) Understand that a mount server are required , but N5230 is a linux box , how can i mount a CIFS file shares on it ?

3) If it is possible , would there be any issues related to file permission for backup as well as restore since they are different OS ?

4) are we still need NetBackup NDMP license if we using this method because it is not a NDMP backup any more ?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

1) it is possible to configure NDMP accelerator on N5230 to backup NetApp CIFS shares with any other mount server ?

No.  NDMP accelerator os for NDMP style backups only or NetApp only of specific versions only.

2) Understand that a mount server are required , but N5230 is a linux box , how can i mount a CIFS file shares on it ?

Not a requirement.  If you want to take CIFS/SMB or NFS style backups via a mount host, then it should work, with the right permissions, but don't expect it to be fast.

3) If it is possible , would there be any issues related to file permission for backup as well as restore since they are different OS ?

If you backup via CIFS/SMB or NFS then, essentially, it's not a different OS, as you;ll be using the OS of the backup host.  You just need to use an account which has permission to read/write content from/to the shares/exports.

4) are we still need NetBackup NDMP license if we using this method because it is not a NDMP backup any more ?

No - or - correcy - an NetBackup license related to/for NDMP license is not required for this style of backup - insteda toy'll need a client license for the backup client (you backup via) - or sufficient remaining capacity in your FETB capacity based license.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Have a look at this blog for a better understanding of different policy types that support Accelerator : http://www.settlersoman.com/netbackup-accelerator-design-considerations/ Accelerator for NDMP policy type for NetApp filers is supported as from NBU 7.7.1. Using CIFS works with MS-Windows policy type and requires a Windows client where the shares are mounted. So, here you will specify the Windows client in the Clients tab and specify the UNC path to the shares in Backup Selection.

cmwong0921
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

There are few things which i still dont understanding from the link, example the following statement,

NetBackup Accelerator for different policy types

As I mentioned in the beginning of this post, currently NetBackup Accelerator is supported for the following types of policies:

• Windows
  • Standard
  • VMware
  • NDMP (for NetApp Filers)

if i use windows policy-type , i mount the CIFS shares on the mount host .

if i use NDMP policy-type , do i need to mount anything to use the Accelerator ?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
No. NDMP policy type does not need to mount anything. Have you read the NBU 7.7.1 for NDMP Admin Guide?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

No.  NDMP accelerator os for NDMP style backups only or NetApp only of specific versions only.

Not a requirement.  If you want to take CIFS/SMB or NFS style backups via a mount host, then it should work, with the right permissions, but don't expect it to be fast.

If you backup via CIFS/SMB or NFS then, essentially, it's not a different OS, as you;ll be using the OS of the backup host.  You just need to use an account which has permission to read/write content from/to the shares/exports.

No - or - correcy - an NetBackup license related to/for NDMP license is not required for this style of backup - insteda toy'll need a client license for the backup client (you backup via) - or sufficient remaining capacity in your FETB capacity based license.

cmwong0921
Level 4

Hi All,

Thanks everyone for the info .