cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP Backup of Isilon, and using wildcards

bunsen82
Level 4

Hi,

I have researched online and while I have found some answers, I am not getting the result I need.

I am trying to create a "wildcard" selection to my NDMP policy, backing up EMC Isilon. Ultimately, I want to backup all folders in one stream that start with A, the next one B and so on.

My stream for A reads like this:

NEW_STREAM

/ifs/Archive/Folder/Folder/A*

However I am getting error 106 invalid path name and I am getting the same error for all wildcard streams. I assume I have missed something, can anyone advise?

Thanks!!

5 REPLIES 5

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

The thing to remember is that NDMP is not a file system, it is a transport protocol.  What this means then is that vendors internal volume and file system structures are carried by NDMP protocol.

So, I think your problem is possibly around the level/depth of the path that you are specifying... and so I suspect that the Isilon itself is unable to create a snapshot at that level.

e.g. my conjecture, and I have no actual experience of this, is that these two object paths point to different object types...

1) /ifs/Archive

2) /ifs/Archive/Folder/Folder/A*

...and so I suspect that 1) is perhaps a volume level object for which an snapshot for an NDMP backup can be established, and perhaps object path 2) points to a "folder" but that the Isilon OneFS file-system and operating system is possibly unable to establish a snapshot for NDMP purposes on a folder.

My question to you is... have you checked the Isilon documentation to prove that the object type/level/depth/naming-structure of "five levels deep" that you are attempting to use... is even supported to be used/specified in the directive list for an NDMP style backup job for Isilon family of NAS appliances?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Unrelated to your question, but possibly useful background info for others:

General NetBackup for NDMP operating notes and restrictions
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000117505

NetBackup for NDMP: NAS appliance information
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000027113

Genericus
   VIP   

my understanding is that NDMP wildcards are based on tow things - the NB version, and the NDMP filer.

Some support wildcards, and SOME DO NOT! You should check with EMC regarding the isilon, I know we had to upgrade ours to enable wildcards.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

@sdo

Hi,

We are able to backup succesfully from the Isilon via NDMP. The work I am doing is trying to break down the policy as currently the stream is too large.

If I create a stream for /ifs/Archive/Folder/Folder/AFOLDER I am able to succesfully backup the data. This is the case for any folders on the Isilon in any location when I apply a specifc include/stream. Its only when I try and implement the wildcard config that I get the 106 error.

Ok, we are using NBU 7.6.1 with Isilon 7.2.1.2 - I will do some further research into the Isilon compatability