cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP Backup to include file types

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

With an EMC VNX is it possible to set an include list with NDMP backups?

I know I can exclude particluar folders and files bt would like to only backup particular file types so was planning to do a general 'Exclude' rule and then create an 'Include' just for the file types I want to backup.

I'm running NBU 7.6.1.2 and the VMX is running DART 8.x

kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
I don't think that will be possible, as the 'include_list' is typically a NetBackup Client setting, yet NDMP devices do not have a 'client' per se. If the VNX does have such a feature then it will probably be described in EMC's documentation, and not NetBackup's. However, the other day I did find a NetBackup NDMP Info doc hanging off (in the Related Articles) of a NetBackup v7.7 documentation tech note, which listed several examples of different NetBackup backup policy directives across different NDMP enabled devices. I don't have the link to hand, but maybe you can find that doc.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sdo
I don't think that will be possible, as the 'include_list' is typically a NetBackup Client setting, yet NDMP devices do not have a 'client' per se. If the VNX does have such a feature then it will probably be described in EMC's documentation, and not NetBackup's. However, the other day I did find a NetBackup NDMP Info doc hanging off (in the Related Articles) of a NetBackup v7.7 documentation tech note, which listed several examples of different NetBackup backup policy directives across different NDMP enabled devices. I don't have the link to hand, but maybe you can find that doc.

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thank you for the reply

The following was the doc that I was reading - perhaps it's the one that you're referring to.

http://corpusweb130.corp.emc.com/upd_prod_VNX/UPDFinalPDF/en/NDMP_Backups.pdf

It only talks about being able to do exclude lists not include lists so I suspect you're right in saying that inlude lists for NDMP isn't possible. Just seems strange that you can filter folders and files for exclusion but can't filter the same folders and files for inclusion - hence why I posted the question.

many thanks

sdo

Here's the NetBackup NDMP Info doc that I was refering too earlier:

NetBackup for NDMP: NAS appliance information

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.tech31885.html

...see attachments (at the URL) for the document/file named:

NAS_Appliance_Info_20156030.pdf (405.42 KB)