cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP Backups and Permission Changes

Kathleen_Grieve
Level 2

NBU 7.6.0.3 on Windows platform

Backing up EMC Isilon NAS using NDMP protocol.

We are about to make some security changes (permissions) that will replicate through all the data structures on the NAS.   While the files will not actually change (archive bit and date/time stamps remain the same), the security will change.  From the testing I've done, NBU will see the security changes as a change to the files and an incremental backup would pick up ALL files as if it was a full backup.  I would need to run a new full backup to reset that.  Is this correct?   Is security treated as a change of its own?   Is there any way around that to prevent the immediate need for a full backup so that I could coordinate them manually?  Any tricks to make NBU NOT see it as a change? 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Since this is NDMP, NetBackup is not resposbile for determining which files to back up, We simple pass a DUMP Level request to the filer.

Dump 0 is for fulls, Dump 1 is for a cumlative and 2-9 for the rest of the differentials.

When we pass an incremental dump level, the Filer is responsible for determining what files have changed since the last dump level.  This is more than likely using modified times on your Filer.

There are no changes you can make for this with NetBackup and NDMP.

I recommend your confer with EMC that modifying the security settings will change the last modified date/time and to ask if them if there is anyway to make the changes while avoiding this.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Since this is NDMP, NetBackup is not resposbile for determining which files to back up, We simple pass a DUMP Level request to the filer.

Dump 0 is for fulls, Dump 1 is for a cumlative and 2-9 for the rest of the differentials.

When we pass an incremental dump level, the Filer is responsible for determining what files have changed since the last dump level.  This is more than likely using modified times on your Filer.

There are no changes you can make for this with NetBackup and NDMP.

I recommend your confer with EMC that modifying the security settings will change the last modified date/time and to ask if them if there is anyway to make the changes while avoiding this.

Kathleen_Grieve
Level 2

That's about what I expected to hear, was just hoping it could be something different.   I figured it would be on the EMC side.   I have been digging around trying to find a directive or some setting that might allow us to ignore security changes during backup, at least temporarily (like a set directive).  The EMC documentation I've found so far is pretty slim and doesn't offer much.  I remember being challenge in the past trying to find the set EXCLUDE information.  

Thanks for the info!