cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP Backups w/ Netbackup 7.0

brandonn
Level 4
NDMP Backups w/ Netbackup 7.0

I cannot find any recent information on NDMP backups with NBU7 and need some information. NDMP is something I seldom work with, but now, I am running into a situation where I'll be needing to backup ~30 TB from an EMC Celerra NS-960.

Currently the policy is configured to use an NDMP storage unit type and is taking more than 2 days to backup 7 TB.... that's aweful!

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a NDMP storage unit? I ask this, because on a NetApp filer I work with, I stream the data to a windows media server storage unit with much faster results.

Any advice on handling large amounts of data on storage arrays behind NDMP data movers?

If you have experience with optimizing similiar situations please let me know some details and perhaps i can apply them here!
4 REPLIES 4

Ravi_Singh
Level 4
Employee Accredited
Hi,

Is it a local NDMP with locally attached SCSI/SAN library or a remote where the library will be attached with NBU media server and the data flows over LAN till the media server?

Based upon this we can try to improve the performance.

Rgds-

Ravi Singh

Ravi_Singh
Level 4
Employee Accredited
Hi,

Is it a local NDMP with locally attached SCSI/SAN library or a remote where the library will be attached with NBU media server and the data flows over LAN till the media server?

Based upon this we can try to improve the performance.

Rgds-

Ravi Singh

Ed_Wilts
Level 6
You can configure NDMP a couple of ways and it's actually easy to silently get it wrong.  Are you sure you are using an NDMP storage unit and not just an NDMP policy type?  If you have an NDMP policy, but a Media Manager storage unit, the data flows via the LAN from the storage controller to a media server, and then to disk or tape.  If you have an NDMP policy *and* an NDMP storage unit, the data flows from the storage controller directly to the disk or tape.   We have some of each configured here depending on whether we've run fibre directly to our NDMP NetApps (I have noe experience with Celerras).  On our NetApps, we have a command to show the tape stats and it shows the throughput - check to see if the Celerra has something similar.

For optimal performance (but more money), you would not use NDMP at all.  You can use a Windows client to back up the data using a standard policy and store that in a de-duped storage unit.  Then do daily incrementals forever and use synthetics to create your fulls.  You'd never have to do a full again.  Now this assumes you have the backend disk for your de-dupe pool, and that you have the software licenses in place.  It also assumes you have great connectivity between that Windows client to the Celerra (10GigE would be ideal especially for that first full).

brandonn
Level 4
Ravi, it is a NDMP header directly attached to the storage array.

Ed, the Celerra I am dealing with uses NDMP Policy & NDMP Storage Unit. And it is MUCH slower than my NetApp that I use a Window Media Manager to write to tape using NDMP policy type. This doesn't sound like it should be the case?