cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP Restoration success but no files restored

Albatross_
Level 5

Hi experts,

I have got an issue with NDMP restoration. ( Netbtackup  6.0 , Sun Storage NAS 5320 )

I have few tapes which were having 2009 year data, when I am trying to restore the data and the tape was properly mounted and positioned, read, everything seems to fine.

The restoration says successful, But I could not find any files in the destination folder. No mater How many times I try to restore the result is same. i have checked for the

I have done reboots,  tape inventory , and power cycle also, But no luck.

Is there any thing that could solve my issue.

Awaiting for your valuble replies

Cheers

Albatross

16 REPLIES 16

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Are you restoring to the Sun Storage NAS 5320?

Albatross_
Level 5

Hi Riaan,

Yes I am restoring on the NAS , which is mounted on to NB master server over NFS.

Cheers

Albatross

Marianne
If you are trying to restore to NFS mount it is no longer NDMP. Or is backup source NDMP that you are trying to restore to NFS mount? I don't think that is supported. We may be able to provide better assistance if you share all relevant details. Screenshots of all restore steps, starting with machine names and policy type, up to where destination path is specified, will help to get a better understanding.

RiaanBadenhorst

As Marianne said, please tell us more.  What is the backup type? NDMP or Standard? You can only restore NDMP to NDMP i.e. directly to the filer, not via a mount.

Albatross_
Level 5

Hi

I am restoring from NDMP to NDMP only.

Untill yesterday it was working fine. Today when I troed to restore other volume it tyying restored but there no files in the destination path.

Cheers

Albatross

Albatross_
Level 5

Hi

Please find the below source and dest path of the ndmp restore.

source :  /Vol1/data/long/00kl29ref

Dest : /Vol300/RESTORATION_NAS/long-proj1/20-12-2008_15-01-2009/Vol1/data/long/kl0029ref

Also please find the attached snapshot.

Awaiting for valuable replies

ndmp-restore.png

Once required folder is selected , Then hit restore button and select option "individual directories and files to different location" --> select --> click on change slect destination(a) --> give the required dest path ( as above ) --> start restore.

Cheers

Albatross

Albatross_
Level 5

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ndmp-restoration-success-no-files-restored#comment-11139651

Marianne

I remember similar issues many years ago which probably had something to do with either NBU or NDMP version.

Problem is that NBU 6.0 is so old (released in 2005 and EOSL in 2012) that I cannot find any documentation.

Is the destination folder totally empty or folders underneath it?
There is a possibilty that source folder (or portion thereof) may be added to the end of the path.
This could end up in destination path being too long.

All I can suggest is to look at NBU logs:
bptm and bpbrm on NDMP media server and ndmp unified log on the master.

Albatross_
Level 5

Hi All,

What I couldn't figure out is untill yesterday it was working fine, But all of sudden I am facing this issue>
I have checked the logs everythings seems to fine.

Let me check I have requested to reboot the NAS device

ontherocks
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Disable DAR for NDMP disabled

(Direct Access Recovery)

Host Properties --> Master Server --> Properties --> General Server

then disable "Use direct access recovery for NDMP restores"

Run restore again after diasbling the DAR. Restore should work fine.

ontherocks
Level 6

I have faced the same issue earlier, and it worked fine after disabling the DAR

Albatross_
Level 5

Hi ,

The DAR option is been already disabled.. But still I am unable to restore the files.

Any more ideas...

Cheers

Albatross

ontherocks
Level 6

I hope you are retsoring the data on the same NDMP device (filer)

Make sure you have sufficient rights on the id you are using for viewing the restored data. check below pasted link ::

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ndmp-restore-folder-appears-no-files-it

ontherocks
Level 6

Hi Albatross30,

Any update on this restore ??

watsons
Level 6

What happened if you change the restore path to be:

/Vol300/RESTORATION_NAS/long-proj1/20-12-2008_15-01-2009/

And also assume /Vol300 is actually on NAS-5320 itself, not another NDMP host.

When you said you could not find restore files, did you make sure you do a "ls -lRa" to confirm there is no hidden files/dirs?  

Albatross_
Level 5

Hi ontherocks,

Yes the restoration is running fine....I was able to restore the data...

This got sorted out Power cycle of the devices.

But as said by Marriane This is Legacy Software this happens quite often, And I cannot do anything on this, as the customer is not interseted in upgrading to later versions 

Customer is going to  decommission the NAS and NBU master server from existing DC once the all data gets restored..

Hope there wont be any issues further... 

Thank you all for your suggestions...

Chees

Albatross