cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP and Data ONTAP 8.1.1

Maurice_Byrd
Level 4

I'm attempting to backup a volume on a NetApp SAN using NDMP.  Everything seems to be working except the data movement.  My NBU media server is able to communicate with and login to the SAN.  But the backup job just times out - even after I set the client read time to 14400. The backup is disk-to-disk-to-tape. So there's no tape resource contention.  I have an existing NDMP backup policy (I based the new one on it) that works fine.  The policy that works is connecting to a SAN that is running OnTap 8.0.2.

Is anyone aware of any issues with NBU 7.1x and OnTap 8.1.1?  I have a ticket open with support.  We've been troubleshooting for two days with no real progress.  I've asked for escalation but thought reaching out to the forum might get a faster resolution.  

My NBU master and media servers are all W2k8 Standard R2 running NBU 7.1.0.4.  I'm uploading log files from the time I ran a test of the backup - 07:50

6 REPLIES 6

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Could you create the \netbackup\logs\ndmpagent\ directory on the media server and try it again and then upload that log please - can't see anything specific in the ones you have uploaded

Maurice_Byrd
Level 4

Mark,

Here's the ndmp log that I collected for support.

Maurice_Byrd
Level 4

Adding ndmpagent log this time...

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Nothing too obvious to me in those although it does mention a user of ndmpadmin and i did think with NetApps you had to use root when configuring.

Have they asked for the /etc/messages file from the filer yet?

Handy to see that if you have it

Maurice_Byrd
Level 4

Mark,

I forgot to let you know that it turned out that the issue was firewall ports that needed to be opened.  The documentation only indicated that port 10000 needed to be open.  I worked with support on the issue and backline found the problem in the logs.

For NDMP backups:

Port 10000 is used for communication and to initiate the backup 

A port in range 1025 - 5000 is used to transfer the data (This was not in the Admin Guide)

In my case, port 10000 was open through the firewall for bidirectional communication per the documentation. But because the 1025 - 5000 range wasn't open the data wouldn't move.  Unfortunately, I never got the number for the technote that was created.

huanglao2002
Level 6

Thank for you share.