cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP backup attached tape drives

sumitgree
Level 4

Hello,

Can we use NDMP attached tape drives for non-ndmp backups as well ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It depends....., 

NDMP-attached drives configured in NDMP-type Storage Unit can only backup NDMP hosts in NDMP-type policy.

If drives are shared in SSO environment with master and/or media server, then 'normal' Media Manager Storage Unit can be created for non-NDMP policies and clients.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6

It depends....., 

NDMP-attached drives configured in NDMP-type Storage Unit can only backup NDMP hosts in NDMP-type policy.

If drives are shared in SSO environment with master and/or media server, then 'normal' Media Manager Storage Unit can be created for non-NDMP policies and clients.

jim_dalton
Level 6

Just to reinforce Mariannes post, with sso license, you can share drives: this means that the drivves (san attached in my case) need zoning in to all media servers that you intend using.This in turn leads to device files  for the drives on all media servers and in turn when you come to configuring you end up with storage units on all media servers sharing the drives, so if you have several ndmp media servers plus non-ndmp you will have serveral storage units configured.

Each device in device monitor shows up with serveral device paths, one per media server.

Netbackup takes care of the sharing, you need to put the appropriate storage unit (NDMP or non-NDMP) in your policies accordingly. Jim

sumitgree
Level 4

We only planning to share all drives with media server and NAS. Does this will work for both type of backups NDMP and NON-NDMP.

One more question if i shared the drives with media server and Netapp NAS ,who will managed the  Robotic control media servera or NAS

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Don't share all your drives with all of your media servers, especially if you have lots of media servers. Share drives to around 4 servers max.

Marianne
Level 6

Sharing drives between NAS filers and 'normal' media servers work well.
We had a customer at my previous company sharing 15 drives between +- 6 media servers and 2 NAS filers.

Best is to config a media server as robot control host - lot easier to troubleshoot if neccessary (using robtest for example) . 

Read up in   NetBackup for NDMP Administrator's Guide  : 
Chapter 7: Using the Shared Storage Option (SSO)

sumitgree
Level 4

Does Making media server as robotic control host works with NDMP local backup as well?

Marianne
Level 6

It is supported.

As per the NBU for NBU manual:

For each robot, either a NetBackup media server or an NDMP server (not both) can handle robotic control.

I recommend to use a media server as this is easier to test and troubleshoot when issues arise.