cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP backup failed with status code 99

razad
Level 3

Hi,

I configured Netbackup 6.5 and NetApp filer to backup filer volumes to the tape drive (local backup: drive is attached to filer via SAN). There are 10 volumes to backup.I created a single policy to backup all the ten volumes. The backup of all the volumes are scuccessful except a single volume. The backup status code for the failed volume is 99. The volume is online and the tatal configured capacity for the volume is about 24GB (available cap is 6.5GB).

It is very much helpfull if anyone can help me to sort out this issue

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

razad
Level 3

The issue is sorted out. The problem was with the size of the snapshot. It was not possible to create snapshot for the volume when the backup is initiated. The backup was successful once the size of the volume is increased by 5GB

Thanks for all of your help

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6

What type of NDMP device is it? I have found, in the past, that the mount point that failed wasn't a real mount poing. In the case of EMC Celerra for example it must be a uxfs type file system. If I do a server_mount it shows many mount points but half of them are not uxfs and therefore I get the same error you get when attempting to back them up.

Hope this helps.

razad
Level 3

I am not mounting the volume in my master server. It is a SAN backup from the filer to the tape drive directly. Also the other volumes in the policy are being backed up without any errors

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6
What kind of NDMP device? EMC is not the same as NetApp, etc.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

It's not simply a spelling mistake in the Backup Selection for the Policy is it? A trailing 'space' maybe? An extra or missing '.' (dot).

Obviously your config is correct in that all the others work, so it appears to be either the Backup Selection in the Policy or the NetApp side of things.

razad
Level 3
It is NetworkAppliance with Data ONTAP Release 7.2.3

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Try this:

List Attributes

set_ndmp_attr -list

Verify access

set_ndmp_attr -verify <NDMP server>

Check deamons are up

vmps

Authenticate Access

set_ndmp_attr -auth filer root

check if everything is setup properly

razad
Level 3
all the test commands working properly. to remind you, i can backup all the volume except this volume

Tim_Miller
Level 4
Are these full backups or incrementals you get the 99's on? We have gotten 99's when running an incremental and no data has changed on that volume.

bakitup
Level 4

The 99 error for NDMP backups tend to be a catch-all type error code, but the detail in Activity Monitor will usually lead on a good direction to look, like path does not exists, etc.  You also need to look at the logs on the NetApp to see what type of things are occurring.  I have had these on Celerra and the Celerra will say that the path does not exists on the Celerra.  Too bad NDMP backups don't ive you a 71 :)

Has this path ever backed up successfully? Create ndmp logs on the master if the NetApp logs do not show anything.

razad
Level 3

The issue is sorted out. The problem was with the size of the snapshot. It was not possible to create snapshot for the volume when the backup is initiated. The backup was successful once the size of the volume is increased by 5GB

Thanks for all of your help

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Thanks for the update razad. Nice to know there was a logical reason for this!

We actually backup our snapshots directly via our 'backup selection', as opposed to allowing the backup to create one that it then backs up from. Something else to watch out for if we ever change our methodology.