cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP backups of 8TB filesystem on NAS (EMC VNX5200) device

osvaldo_olmedo
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hello people, I have the following situation: I am configuring a NDMP backup of a NAS device (EMC VNX5200 storage), for administrative reasons, the NAS admin has configured a big filesystem (where several shares are created and exported to CIFS servers) of 8TB I have configured the NDMP policy and the path of filesystem in the backup selection is working properly, but because the big size of the FS I would need to speed up this backup. The NDMP architecture of the backup is local NDMP according attached diagram. Have you any advices in order to speed up this backup? (use msdp dedupe, etc) Thanks in advance and best regards Osvaldo
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What type of NDMP backup are you using - the tar based or volume based type ?

http://corpusweb130.corp.emc.com/upd_prod_VNX/UPDFinalPDF/en/NDMP_Backups.pdf

See page 30. The volume based backup (set type = vbb)  type is much faster but on the cost of restore time. The "tar" backup method can be very slow for unstructured small files.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What type of NDMP backup are you using - the tar based or volume based type ?

http://corpusweb130.corp.emc.com/upd_prod_VNX/UPDFinalPDF/en/NDMP_Backups.pdf

See page 30. The volume based backup (set type = vbb)  type is much faster but on the cost of restore time. The "tar" backup method can be very slow for unstructured small files.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Another options would be to backup the CIFS shares via MS-Windows policy on a master/media server to MSDP. This will allow the use of Accelerator to speed things up.

osvaldo_olmedo
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello Marianne and Nicolai,

Thanks for your useful replies, I will test both suggestion (Nicolai suggestion is easier to test on the other hand Marianne suggestion is a different aproach of the topology of backups).

Thanks and best regards

Osvaldo