cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP backups to MSDP over SAN

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can someone tell me if NetBackup 8.x will allow me to configure an NDMP backup using SAN disk storage as the backup target?

My environment is simply an NBU 8.1 master\media server (running on Windows 2012) and a small EMC VNX which contains the files I want ot back up.

I also have an old fibre based SAN array that I want to use as an MSDP pool and so have presented a volume from this to the master\media server. Everything is connected to the same SAN fabric

I want to do NDMP backups of the VNX to the MSDP pool over the SAN - Is that possible? Or must the backup data travel over the LAN to the media server and then out the disk target over the SAN.

Also - can NetBackup use NDMP accelerator for VNX devices?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse

Yes, correct. NBU runs NDMP tape server over the LAN ports and writes it to MSDP, if the latter is running on the same media server and resides on local or FC-attached disks, deduplicated data lands there.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mouse

The answer is no. NDMP supports fiber connection for tape drives only, it can be also a virtual tape but NBU won't be able to emulate it.

You can't use Accelerator but there's "Incremental forever" approach with LEVEL=10 

CadenL

ok thanks - I kind of thought that would be the case.

But just to clarify - I can still do NDMP to MSDP but it with travel over the LAN from the VNX to the media server and then through the media server (where it will be deduped) and then out again over FC to the SAN array?

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/24427212-126400885-0/v19695078-126400885

thanks

Mouse

Yes, correct. NBU runs NDMP tape server over the LAN ports and writes it to MSDP, if the latter is running on the same media server and resides on local or FC-attached disks, deduplicated data lands there.