cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP restoration stalls

Albatross_
Level 5

Hi experts,

I am on a restoring NDMP restoration job. I started manually restoring the data 3 days back and today I still find only few of the data is restored.

When I checked the activity monitor it shows "begin read" and the process stalled.

Checked for the bprm and bptm logs. Could not find any clues.

BTW I am having Netbackup 6.0 env with Storagetek nas box.

It would be grateful If I can some workaround for this issue. You may find the status of restoration in the screenshot.

ndmp-stalled.png

Awaiting for valuble replies

Cheers

Albatross

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Do you have logs on master server and NDMP media server? You need bprd log on the master server, bptm and bpbrm logs on the media server, as well as system log on the NAS server. PS : Any reason why you are still on NBU 6.0? This was probably the worst ever NBU version and ran out of support in 2012. If the issue is caused by some sort of a bug in 6.0, there will be no documentation available with details of a fix or workaround.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Level 6
Do you have logs on master server and NDMP media server? You need bprd log on the master server, bptm and bpbrm logs on the media server, as well as system log on the NAS server. PS : Any reason why you are still on NBU 6.0? This was probably the worst ever NBU version and ran out of support in 2012. If the issue is caused by some sort of a bug in 6.0, there will be no documentation available with details of a fix or workaround.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

How was the backup performed ?

• as a file by file backup
  • dump - sector by sector

By using sector by sector, a restore may need to read thru the entire backup, in order to restore the requested files. Fragmentation of the NAS device increases this senario.

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It looks like the file positioning went ok, it simply has to read through the entire block now. Do you know what block size it was written to as?

I suppose you could try to disable DAR to have to read through the image instead of positioning to the file, might take even long depending on how far into the image the data was.  File 121 is a position on the tape, not the backup image, so I cannot give any estimates.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO85869

jim_dalton
Level 6

Hmmm, Ive seen this behaviour before, or something similar. After a certain time netbackup just forgot about my long running backup...it was still crusing through the NAS filesystem and many hours later it just gave up.

Has the job detail progressed any? You should see something! Can you see if the tape is being read? Eg via a different interface if the robotics has such? It looks like its doing absolutely nothing/Jim

Marianne is right, you should have upgrade long ago.

Albatross_
Level 5

Hi Marianne,

We have recommended  our client for the upgradation, But its all upto them and more over theres nothing much happening in that project with 6.0 we are just trying to free out the tapes by restoring the data

Let me check the log files as suggested by you once again ...

Cheers

Albatross

Albatross_
Level 5

Hi Marianne,

I could able to get the logs which you have mentioned. Could you please go through  them and let me know the cause for this issue.

I have attached all the logs, Please check and do the needful

Cheers

Albatross

Marianne
Level 6
Not sure where you collected the logs from or for which date. bpbrm seems to be incomplete - ends just after 1 am. bptm contains no record of any restore.

Marianne
Level 6

Have you checked the NDMP media server for logs?

The logs above are from the wrong date or the wrong server.

My suggestion would be to check that DAR is enabled, rather than disabled. 
Without DAR, the entire image need to be scanned.

Albatross_
Level 5

Hi all,

The problem got resolved after doing the power cycle of the devices the restoration was successful.

Thank you for every one who responded...

Cheers

Albatross