cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP restore successful but no data on share

X2
   VIP   

I performed an NDMP restore yesterday and it was successful. The sysadmin contacted me in the morning and said there was no data restored! I checked the share (on HNAS) and indeed it was correct, no data existed on the path.

The restore needed the following: Full + Incr1 + Incr2 + Incr3. Investigating the restore, I did the following:

1. Restore a file from Full backup on same path - Successful and file present
  2. Restore a directory from Full backup on same path - Successful and file present

This confirmed that restore process is working. Then I tried the original restore (Full + Incr1 + Incr2 + Incr3) and also started a file listing for the share every 30 seconds. During the restore the files came in (10,000+ files) but when the restore finished, they were all gone!

Then I tried the restore with (Full + Incr1 + Incr2) only, and it was successful and data was present.

So, it turns out that when Incr3 finished, files were removed! I know NDMP does overwrite files during restore. But can't understand why it deleted files at the end.This is contrary to the Standard/MS-Windows file restores that I have done, where unchanged files are not touched by Incremental images.

I couldn't find anything with a quick browse of the NDMP admin manual, so hoping someone can explain or point me to documentation.

Env: Primary+Media RHEL 7 with NetBackup 9.1.0.1 and NDMP backup with HNAS gateway.

6 REPLIES 6

quebek
   VIP    Certified
Hi
To me it looks like a bug, I would have opened case with veritas in this regard.

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
It's been a long time since I've looked at NDMP in any depth, but I believe you have the ability to use TIR (true image recovery which would know about deleted and moved files).. So if the data was deleted between the 2nd and 3rd incremental backup that would mean retiring the 3rd incremental would potentially remove the files restored in the prior restores. There should be an option to not use TIR/ move detection (during restore), if that is the case .

X2
   VIP   

@StoneRam-Simon - I did check for that option and it is greyed out (unchecked) in the policy. From that I suppose TIR is not supported by NDMP.

@quebek I was thinking of that too. My hesitation is that the data is "prod" data. I will try to get an alternate location from the sysadmin, on the same share and test. Also, it is summer time, so lots of upgrades/changes which means I'm getting pressured to go to NetBackup 10, so it will be a juggling game with testing and support case before the NetBackup upgrade.

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Ndmp settings are often set or unset with directives if the selection list. I was thinking there may be an option on the restore screen, it had been a while since I've done ndmp restores so i could be mistaken, but I thought it's worth suggesting...

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

hi All,

same case with me ,that restore is successful but there is no file in Netbackup 9.1

But when i recheck the restore path on different path it was wrong , as its case sensitive.

So i have updated the ndmp restore correct path, the file came there, when i trigger another job

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello @X2 

this actually sounds interresting..

were you able to solve it?