I performed an NDMP restore yesterday and it was successful. The sysadmin contacted me in the morning and said there was no data restored! I checked the share (on HNAS) and indeed it was correct, no data existed on the path.
The restore needed the following: Full + Incr1 + Incr2 + Incr3. Investigating the restore, I did the following:
This confirmed that restore process is working. Then I tried the original restore (Full + Incr1 + Incr2 + Incr3) and also started a file listing for the share every 30 seconds. During the restore the files came in (10,000+ files) but when the restore finished, they were all gone!
Then I tried the restore with (Full + Incr1 + Incr2) only, and it was successful and data was present.
So, it turns out that when Incr3 finished, files were removed! I know NDMP does overwrite files during restore. But can't understand why it deleted files at the end.This is contrary to the Standard/MS-Windows file restores that I have done, where unchanged files are not touched by Incremental images.
I couldn't find anything with a quick browse of the NDMP admin manual, so hoping someone can explain or point me to documentation.
Env: Primary+Media RHEL 7 with NetBackup 22.214.171.124 and NDMP backup with HNAS gateway.
@StoneRam-Simon - I did check for that option and it is greyed out (unchecked) in the policy. From that I suppose TIR is not supported by NDMP.
@quebek I was thinking of that too. My hesitation is that the data is "prod" data. I will try to get an alternate location from the sysadmin, on the same share and test. Also, it is summer time, so lots of upgrades/changes which means I'm getting pressured to go to NetBackup 10, so it will be a juggling game with testing and support case before the NetBackup upgrade.
same case with me ,that restore is successful but there is no file in Netbackup 9.1
But when i recheck the restore path on different path it was wrong , as its case sensitive.
So i have updated the ndmp restore correct path, the file came there, when i trigger another job