Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP with Symantec Appliance

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Hi Folks,

I have vnx NDMP device and need to configure the backup with available Symantec Appliance 5230, 2.6.0.1 media server.what is the best way to configure the backup that will give a good throughput.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No, it goes across the LAN. As I said previously.

The only devices an NDMP enabled filer can write to across the SAN is a physical (or virtual) tape. The appliance is not any of these.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

There is a white paper for that:

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/white_papers/b-whitepaper_best_practice_for_ndmp_backup_netbackup_02-2009_20016956.en-us.pdf

Happy Reading :)

Marianne
Level 6

You can also backup the NDMP shares via NFS to get dedupe and Accelerator advantage.

See this excellent blog:

Frequently Asked Questions on NetBackup Accelerator 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/frequently-asked-questions-netbackup-accelerator#comme... 

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Hi Marianne,

we are not comfortable to use accelarator as we have CIFS shares and doesnt have a domain account that have the access to all shares. In many shares we have thousants of folders and user home directories that the spesific user only have the access. So i dont think i can use accelerator effectivly.

And for deduplication would be there as we are using the appliance for the storage.

Nicolai

I went through such kind of documents already but confused with disk stoarage unit and tape.

I am clear about when we use the tape drive. But when i use the disk STU how do i configure the different kind of NDMP backups such as storage unit is NDMP, direct NDMP, 3-way etc.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi Ajith

If you want to backup to the appliance it will be via the LAN and its called remote NDMP. Once the credentials are added for the ndmp device, simply point it to the storage unit on the appliance.

There is no way to write to the appliance using NDMP and SAN.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

All 3 configuration are documented in the Netbackup NDMP guide

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6456

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Ok. But please let me know how the data flow would be on below scenario

Appliance configured as media server with MSDP pool. Appliance and vnx filer has connected to a san switch and zoning is present. NDMP policy created with storage unit from MSDP pool STU.

In above situation, when my NDMP backup fired, data can be travel from vnx to appliance storage through SAN ? Will it work in that way ?

RiaanBadenhorst

No, it goes across the LAN. As I said previously.

The only devices an NDMP enabled filer can write to across the SAN is a physical (or virtual) tape. The appliance is not any of these.

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Thanks Riaan for the prompt support.

Marianne
Level 6

As per Riaan's post above:

If you want to backup to the appliance it will be via the LAN and its called remote NDMP.