Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP

venu_netbackup0
Level 4

hI,

I am new to this world..of netbackup...i have an doubt is:-

NDMP is used to reduce the load on the servers. to perform backup and restore .

Technically i just want to know that ..how it works..is this works like a master and slave pattern.

Please clarify my doubt ...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

NDMP is a "transport" protocol only.  It is not a volume format, not a file system format, not a folder format, not a file format, not a data format, not a LUN format, not a partition format.  NDMP is a "carrier" protocol only - designed to allow two or more devices which do understand (i.e. they are compatible) the contents of the NDMP stream to move data between themselves.

For example NetBackup can understand the contents of a NetApp NDMP stream and also a Celerra NDMP stream - because NetBackup has been sepcifically designed and programmed to understand the NetApp data structures and also the Celerra data structures which are carried within their respective NDMP streams.

...but a NetApp device cannot understand the contents of a Celerra NDMP stream, because NetApp and EMC have not worked together to support each others data formats.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
NDMP has nothing to do with reducing any kind of load. It is the protocol used to backup NAS filers. Please download the two NDMP docs from this link : http://www.veritas.com/docs/000003051 and enjoy reading! You may want to bookmark above link to download other NBU docs. The manuals are your friends - use them!

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

NDMP is a "transport" protocol only.  It is not a volume format, not a file system format, not a folder format, not a file format, not a data format, not a LUN format, not a partition format.  NDMP is a "carrier" protocol only - designed to allow two or more devices which do understand (i.e. they are compatible) the contents of the NDMP stream to move data between themselves.

For example NetBackup can understand the contents of a NetApp NDMP stream and also a Celerra NDMP stream - because NetBackup has been sepcifically designed and programmed to understand the NetApp data structures and also the Celerra data structures which are carried within their respective NDMP streams.

...but a NetApp device cannot understand the contents of a Celerra NDMP stream, because NetApp and EMC have not worked together to support each others data formats.