cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NETBACKUP QUESTION on SCHEDULES

bc1410
Level 5

HELLO - 

Have taken over the NBU role and still learning alot...  I notice some of the NBU policies we have  that are active have both DIFF and FULL level Schedules...  My question

If for example on a policy under the Schedules TAB; Start Window;  the "schedule Window" were you select when a backup is to start and end... if this is totally BLANK then the DIFF job for instance will not run at all correct...??  There are no CRON jobs for this client either..

Thanks   

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
That is correct.. If there is no start window defined for any particular schedule
then it would not run automatically from NetBackup side.. If the policy/schedule is triggered manually it would still run.

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@bc1410 

We actually call it a 'Start window' - this is the period during which you want the backup to start. 
The end date is not related to backup end date. If the backup goes active 1 minute before the window closes, it will continue to run. 
So, if you want backups to be completed by 8am, then do not leave backup window open till 8am. 
If your backups run for 2-3 hours (for example) then close backup window at 5am. 

One more thing about Frequency schedules - 
a frequency of 'every 1 day' means once every 24 hours. 
So, if you have open window from 7pm to 5am, and for some reason the backup could not start last night at 7pm (maybe not enough resources), it queued and only went active close to midnight, then backup will not be considered tonight at 7pm. Only after 24 hours has passed since the start of the previous successful backup will the schedule be considered. 
The same applies to backups that have been started manually. 
We call it 'schedule creeping'.

I have shared David Chapa's article about Frequency Schedules over here: 
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Articles/NetBackup-Frequency-Based-Scheduling/ta-p/810193

I have also shared this flowchart from an older NBU manual in the same article: 

Frequency.jpg

You may also want to download NBU Admin Guide I or read it online: 
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/18716246-126559472-0/v42545421-126559472

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

bc1410
Level 5

I forgot to note that the FREQUENCY for the DIFF is set to "1 day"

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
That is correct.. If there is no start window defined for any particular schedule
then it would not run automatically from NetBackup side.. If the policy/schedule is triggered manually it would still run.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@bc1410 

We actually call it a 'Start window' - this is the period during which you want the backup to start. 
The end date is not related to backup end date. If the backup goes active 1 minute before the window closes, it will continue to run. 
So, if you want backups to be completed by 8am, then do not leave backup window open till 8am. 
If your backups run for 2-3 hours (for example) then close backup window at 5am. 

One more thing about Frequency schedules - 
a frequency of 'every 1 day' means once every 24 hours. 
So, if you have open window from 7pm to 5am, and for some reason the backup could not start last night at 7pm (maybe not enough resources), it queued and only went active close to midnight, then backup will not be considered tonight at 7pm. Only after 24 hours has passed since the start of the previous successful backup will the schedule be considered. 
The same applies to backups that have been started manually. 
We call it 'schedule creeping'.

I have shared David Chapa's article about Frequency Schedules over here: 
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Articles/NetBackup-Frequency-Based-Scheduling/ta-p/810193

I have also shared this flowchart from an older NBU manual in the same article: 

Frequency.jpg

You may also want to download NBU Admin Guide I or read it online: 
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/18716246-126559472-0/v42545421-126559472

Thank you so much Amol_Nair..

Than you Marianne for the GREAT INFORMATION you have provided me..   Much Appreciated...