cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NETWORK DRIVE BACKUP

yanotakashi
Level 3

I am using NetBackup Enterprise 7.1.0.3. I tried to backup network drives. I specified the target with UNC.

I could not complete the backup with error 13. The client's event viewer showed that bpbkar32 crashed.

I installed NetBackup Client 6.0 instead of 7.1.0.3 client and the problem is gone.

Is there any fix to take network drive backup with 7.1.0.3 client ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Have you tested backup on local drives? Have you already disabled UAC if running on Windows 2008? It is worth to try disabling NTIO as above. This will bacome default setting in next release - 7.5.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have personally had success with backup of network drives on 7.1 and 7.1.0.1. Haven't tried with later patch versions.

What is the OS on the client where you are backing up the network drive?

VirtualED
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

There are multiple issues that you might be seeing when backing up a Network drive. It all depends on what the source client is, and what the destination is.

For example, Windows 2008 has a problem backing up Network resources that are not another Windows server due to some type of ACL issue.  To get around this follow the suggestion in the following Technote:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH157209

MKT
Level 5
Employee Accredited

With bpbkar32 crashing, it's pretty clear there is a defect.  I would say return to 7.1.0.3 client and get a bpbkar log started and engage Support.  They should be able to get a fix to you once the issue is identified.  I would not run a 6.0 client...would not, would not, would not :).

Just once last idea, disable NTIO on the cleint @ 7.1.0.3 and see if the crash goes away:

To disable NTIO (which is enabled by default), a registry key and value must be created as follows:
1.  Run regedit
2.  Create the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\NTIO
3.  Under this key, create a DWORD value named "UseNTIO"
4.  Give this a value of "0".  A value of 0 disables NTIO

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Have you tested backup on local drives? Have you already disabled UAC if running on Windows 2008? It is worth to try disabling NTIO as above. This will bacome default setting in next release - 7.5.

yanotakashi
Level 3

The Server is Windows 2003 R2 because I wants to test NB6 and NB7.1.0.3.

yanotakashi
Level 3

Yes, I can backup local drives with Windows Server 2008 R2+NetBackup 7.1.0.3. But I could not backup network drives on the same machine.

yanotakashi
Level 3

THANK YOU! I disabled NTIO and the problem is gone with 7.1.0.3.

yanotakashi
Level 3

Both the master server and the client are running on Windows Server 2008 R2.

The target network share is Isilon's, not the server's share. This is the reason why I cannot install NB client on the machine where the backup targets exists.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Thank you for marking as solution, but really solved?
If so, please post how did you fix it.