Hi all,

We have a huge file server and i've setup the backup selection as follows:

d:\folder\a*
NEW_STREAM
d:\folder\b*
d:\folder\c*
NEW_STEAM
d:\folder\d*

This works very well, but, the problem is, what if a folder on d:\folder "e" is created. Is there a way to ensure that Netbackup picks up any new subfolders of "folder"?

Thank you,

Seth

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mux
Level 4

You can create a new policy with d:\folder\* as backup selection and then exclude d:\folder\a*, d:\folder\b*, d:\folder\c* and d:\folder\d* for this particular policy.

By this way, you can ensure that no newly created folder is missed.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I agree, this method works very well, but you have to work very close with File Server Admins. There is no way to get NBU to automatically pick up new folders with this kind of Backup Selection. File Server Admins must have clear instructions to notify Backup Admins when new folder is created.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

I've not tried this so maybe give it a go. If you add it as below, then you would probably get a 71, because the entire stream would fail.

NEW_STEAM
d:\folder\e*

But I'm wondering if it might "work" if you add it as this. I'm thinking it might just through at a 1, instead of a 71.

NEW_STEAM
d:\folder\d*

d:\folder\e*

Not sure.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What about a catch all ?. 

f:\folder\[f-zF-Z]*

Windows has limited regular expression support, so it might not work. Try it out !

Marianne

My experience has been that Unix-type wildcards (with square brackets) do not work for MS-Windows type policies.

RiaanBadenhorst

Yes, [] are not supported on Windows backup selections, only include/exclude lists.

Seth_E
Level 6

I had the same thought as you my friend but, on windows, this just doesn't work.

Seth_E
Level 6

Working with admins in a large organization can be difficult when you've got hundreds if not thousands of servers.  I hope Symantec can fix this in future releases as I know that many customers like to seperate backups into multiple streams using various types of backup selections.

One of our critical servers is an OpenText livelink server. This server has a 3 TB lun and so far, has 2 TB used. (5 Million files) The directory structure is something like this:

d:\opentext\0001
d:\opentext\0002 and so on. Problem is, the admins don't know if and when Livelink will create new subfolders. Right now, we are at 00016.

Either way, I supopse I must wait for Symantec to include this in a future release. Thanks for all your help!

Marianne

Seems the 2nd suggestion in Riaan's post below is your best option - 
add none-existing folders to existing streams. 

Mux
Level 4

You can create a new policy with d:\folder\* as backup selection and then exclude d:\folder\a*, d:\folder\b*, d:\folder\c* and d:\folder\d* for this particular policy.

By this way, you can ensure that no newly created folder is missed.

Seth_E
Level 6

Mux,

This is a fantastic Idea!. I'll put this in DEV and test..

Seth_E
Level 6

This solution worked!

However, the catch all didn't pick up new test folders at first. I had to disable change journal and the new folders were backed up. I'll investigate this further.

Policy 1 has backup selection of ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
Policy 2 has a backup selection which contains all data for d:\folder\

The client has exclusions bound to Policy 1 which match the inclusions of Policy2.

I run Policy 2, no problem. Data is backed up

I run Policy 1 and the D:\ stream finishes very quickly, but , my test folders in d:\ and d:\folder\ didn't get backed up. My gut told me to try turning off change journal, and after that, the files were backed up.

I'm now starting to wonder if change journal can be trusted, however, this is for another forum :)