cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOM Custom Reporting

Chad_Wansing
Level 4
So I'm trying to create a custom report in NOM where a custom can login, pass the name of a client to the NOM server, and see the status of jobs for whatever time period they determine.

So far, I've got everything but how to pass the client name to the query. If anyone has any ideas, I'd GREATLY appreciate the input. I've tried linking reports to try to accomplish the same effect (a composite report with one report being where they'd select what server they wanted information on and the other two panes displaying the output) with no success. For whatever reason, certain things will link and others won't.....very strange.
3 REPLIES 3

zippy
Level 6
Chad,

What is the command you trying to run and is it on a UNIX server or NT?

Chad_Wansing
Level 4
It's on a Windows box (Server 2003), and truthfully I'm not so much running a command as trying to figure out how to put the different reports together to try to get this kind of functionality out of it. I've tried just looking at the SQL query to see if I can grab parts of one and put it into another, to no avail.

From what I can tell I can boil down my problem to this: how to pass the SQL query being run against the NOM server user input in the form of the NBU client name

Also, this is for NBU 6 MP4 and NOM MP4

As a side note, maybe someone else can benefit from my mistakes last night.....don't hyperlink two reports to each other. I accidentally did this last night and it seems to have resulted in an Apache "java.lang.StackOverflowError" error, making it so I can't edit either of the reports to remove the hyperlinks, and neither of them work. I currently have a report into Symantec about this and should find out more today.

Chad_Wansing
Level 4
So I finally figured it out (for anyone that cares)......

MAKE SURE YOU BUILD YOUR ENTIRE REPORT BEFORE YOU ADD IN THE FILTERING FUNCTIONALITY TO BE ABLE TO INPUT A CLIENT NAME

Yes, that's right. When you create the report, DO NOT define your filter before you get it exactly how you want the report (which can be an adventure in itself, and caused me to spawn two or three more bug reports.....).

Once you get the report fields just right, edit the report, go into "Filters", select the context and time window however you want to configure them, and then under "Define Filter", for the "Field" option choose what field you want to filter on (in my case the client name) and check the "Specify value when report is run" check box immediately below the "Value" input box. This will clear the "Operator" and "Value" input areas. Select the double right arrows along the right-hand edge of the "Define Filter" area to move your filter definition into the "Filter Definition" area, define how you want your results shown, hit finish, and you're all done!

But, like I said, editing the report after this step is sometimes impossible as everything that you would normally edit just shows up as a blank screen. I was able to reproduce the results in my more detailed report I was trying to create, but on a smaller test report, everything came back how it should have.....so you're taking your risks on being able to edit the report in the future without deleting it and recreating it (which I did for my bigger one about 30 times over the last 2 days).

Hopefully anyone else with some interesting input will post their findings here, and if anyone would like exports of the reports I've built (only have two worth anything right now), feel free to contact me.