cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOM doesn't recognize alert

RonCaplinger
Level 6
I just set up an Alert Policy in NOM to alert when the number of available media in our master/media server drops below 40.   (I assume "available media" means scratch tapes...correct?)

We had 38 media in the scratch pool when I started.  I changed the alert threshhold to 37, still no alert.

Then tried changing two of the media from the scratch pool to a different pool.  I now have 36 media in that pool.  Still cannot get NOM to recognize the alert condition.

What am I missing?  How often does NOM check things like the number of available media?
6 REPLIES 6

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
As far as I have been able to figure out the alter does not segregate per pool.  ( my opinion as I have not been able to find the books exactly what they mean by avail tapes).

As some people do not put all 'scratch' tapes in the scratch pool.

Say if I am fussy about my barcodes...

E# for exchange in an exchange spool
I# for informix in an informix pool
W# for windows in a Windows pool
#### for 'extra' tapes in the scratch pool.

The tapes in the scratch pool are only used when there are no avail tapes in the specific pools.

So ( and I am assuming her from my testing)  that the alert is looking at all unassigned tapes or even unassigned + non full tapes.

To verify this see how many unassigned tapes you have in all your pools and set the alert to a number higher then that and see if it alerts.

I also would like to set alerts per pool and I will add this the the Ideas page, so if you want you can put a vote for it as well.

RonCaplinger
Level 6
I just tried your suggestion.  The terminology used for this is confusing, and something will probably need to be changed by Symantec.

First, when defining the policy, the "Conditions" screen shows the description for this alert as:
  " Action is taken if, available media reduces below preset threshold value."

Second, on the next window that pops up:
  "Alert is generated, if available media for the selected server context reduces below this number."

This would make you THINK that you enter the NUMBER OF AVAILABLE MEDIA, but that's not the case.  If I try to enter anything above 100, I get an error message"
  "Percentage Threshold value must be a positive integer with the range of 0  to 100."

So, it's not asking for a number of media, it's apparently asking for a percentage of media.

I've changed the value to 75.  I'm now assuming this means that if at least 75% of the media in the library attached to that server isn't "available" (scratch), then it should alert.

I don't see anything yet.  Still don't know how often NOM polls for such info.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Yes, - sorry I should have stated it as setting to %.  but still it seems that it goes by all avail media and not for any specified pool pool.

RonCaplinger
Level 6
Then I'll have to add that to the list of things NOM can't do for us.  I'm now working on a script using "vmquery" to do what we need.

At this point, NOM's value to our organization is fairly low.  VBR has a few things we really needed, but even it has some big faults.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

NOM is kind of new, give it time and submit your ideas on what you would like it to do and it will grow with time.

TimBurlowski
Employee Accredited
I'm not aware of this as a known issue, but I'm pretty sure we can fix it quickly. Could you file a support case and send me the ticket #?

thanks,