cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOM has Stopped communicating with the Master server...can anyone help?

Trevor_Jackson1
Level 4
Partner
NOM has Stopped communicating with the Master server...can anyone help?

We have a Solaris 10 Sparc running NBU 6.5.4 and a Windows 2003 server running NOM 6.5.4. The other day we altered the configuration of our switches to use tagged VLANs. This has enabled us to create three VLANs on our Aggregated NIC team. (Original Backup Network - VLANID 800, Backup Clients 1 - VLANID 700 and Backup Clients 2 - VLANID 2208).

Initially we figured that there were network connectivity issues with the master server and the NOM server. However, we can ping NOMSERVER or IP from the NBUmaster. Also we can ping NBUMaster with NOMSERVER or using IP.

When we load NOM we are told that the Monitoring Status is Not Connected. *note: when we click on this we see a message (check the bp.conf for a NOM server entry)

There are two questions I really need the answer to:

1) What addition to the bp.conf has to be made? or what am I supposed to look for?

2) Does anyone know what method is used for the communication between NOM on Windows to a NBU Master on Solaris? 

Thanks

Trevor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Trevor_Jackson1
Level 4
Partner
 There was actually a network issue that caused the problem, not all ports were defined with the same tag ID's within the Link Aggregation (Team) so the IP would communicate properly.

Interestingly enough, it took a long time to convince the network team that there was an issue.

In the end I used 'snoop' included in Solaris 10 to survey the network ports being communicated on and noticed a specific link in the aggregation was refusing to deal with traffic and was issuing a 8100 tag ID not found message. So it convinced the network team to take a look and get their heads out of their butts...

Problem solved.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Reagan
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
The NOM server must have the NetBackup client installed on it.

The NetBackup master server must have a server entry for the NOM server in its bp.conf file

SERVER = name_of_NOM_server

The NOM server must have a server entry for the Master server in its bp.conf file.

SERVER = name_of_Master_server

Both the NOM server and Master server need to be able to resolve each other's host names.

Both the Master and NOM server should be on the same NBU version and patch release.

I had an experience before where an anti-virus program on the NOM server blocked communication between the NOM server and the master server. 

From what I seen communication between the NOM server and the Master server can take up to 15 minutes to get from "partially online" to "online"

Hope this helps.

Reagan

Ravi_Singh
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Restart the NBSL service on the Master server, NOM primarily communicates via this service with Master.

Also verify with some third party Network sniffer that NOM server is actually trying to communicate on which interface of the Master server(In case if Master has multiple NICs)

Make sure that NOM server and the master have the Host name entries in the "etc/hosts" since most of the times the communication fails due to name resolution.

As correctly suggested by Reagan, verify if any anti-virus or firewall is blocking the communication.

Trevor_Jackson1
Level 4
Partner
 There was actually a network issue that caused the problem, not all ports were defined with the same tag ID's within the Link Aggregation (Team) so the IP would communicate properly.

Interestingly enough, it took a long time to convince the network team that there was an issue.

In the end I used 'snoop' included in Solaris 10 to survey the network ports being communicated on and noticed a specific link in the aggregation was refusing to deal with traffic and was issuing a 8100 tag ID not found message. So it convinced the network team to take a look and get their heads out of their butts...

Problem solved.

Eric_Zhang
Level 5
I have met a similar issue here  . Thanks for your comments!

Eric Zhang

Trevor_Jackson1
Level 4
Partner
One other thing...

I noticed that the nbsl process was not listening on the master server.

I stopped and restarted the master server services and all was well.

Trevor