cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOexpire file did not honored by master server

PatS729
Level 5

Hello,

Per the subject line, i had a situation where inspite of having NOexpire file well before in time, but still image fragements got deleted from MSDP. 

Any thoughts ? Does 7612 has any issues while using this File ?

Thanks..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

NOexpire doesn't protect against manually bpexpdate, it also won;t protect if an SLP image Copy 1 (backup copy) is set to 'Expire after duplication' and the image is cancelled from SLP.

Other than that, I've not known it not to work, providing it is in the netbackup/bin dir and is spelt correctly.

I have to add that it's not supported and should not be used outside of the direction of support - it can cause very major issues.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you have double-checked that the filename is 100% correct (case sensitive and no extention), is in the correct folder on the master server, I suggest that you log a Support call with Veritas.

This TN says that the touchfile should prevent removal of disk images:
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000008058 

Do you have bpdm log on media servers that shows nbdelete being called? 

BUT - the TN says that the use of the touchfile is not officially supported.

Best practice is to ensure that your retention levels are in line with business requirements and that the odd chage in expiration date is done via bpexpdate.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

NOexpire doesn't protect against manually bpexpdate, it also won;t protect if an SLP image Copy 1 (backup copy) is set to 'Expire after duplication' and the image is cancelled from SLP.

Other than that, I've not known it not to work, providing it is in the netbackup/bin dir and is spelt correctly.

I have to add that it's not supported and should not be used outside of the direction of support - it can cause very major issues.

Thanks Martin !! You are correct.... i was actually trying to remove an image from SLP control which was already expired.....

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
SLP images work different to non-SLP images.

SLP backup images are flagged as Infinity retention as long as all secondary copies have not completed.
Only when all duplications/replications have completed will retention levels in SLPs be applied.

How is NoExpire in this case related to SLP?
Why would an expired image still be under SLP control?