cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Netbackup license name for Data Domain(openstorage)

SaravananSM
Level 2

HI,

Currently we are using VTL(EMC) to take backups with Netbackup 7.0.1. VTL is going to be unsupported in another 2 months instead we are replacing the EDLs with Data Domains. Here i would like to know whether VTL license can be used for Data Domain. if not, What license needs to be added for Data Domain in netbackup.? Can anyone he

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Both VTL and OpenStorage is covered by Enterprise Disk Option. If you have enough amount of licese regarding Front End Tera-Bytes(FETB) of data to be backed up, you dpn't have to purchase addtional license to migrate from VTL to OpenStorage.

Please note that you need to purchase Data Domain Boost license from EMC and add it into DD to use Data Domain Boost pluging for OpenStorage.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Both VTL and OpenStorage is covered by Enterprise Disk Option. If you have enough amount of licese regarding Front End Tera-Bytes(FETB) of data to be backed up, you dpn't have to purchase addtional license to migrate from VTL to OpenStorage.

Please note that you need to purchase Data Domain Boost license from EMC and add it into DD to use Data Domain Boost pluging for OpenStorage.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The Data Domain VTL option require a EMC license as well.If I had to pick I would go for the BOOST license   at all times.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If you are lucky your VTL was based on backend capacity - when these keys are upgraded in the licensing portal they convert to front end TB of Enterprise Disk so should give you a decent FE capacity License

So as the others say you are covered but well worth the Boot license

huanglao2002
Level 6

From netbackup side:

I think EMC EDL VTL license is same as Data Domain VTL license. you do not need change any license.

SaravananSM
Level 2

Thanks Guys for your input.

DDboost license is already installed on DD and we have front capacity for VTL. i have below license added for VTL in Netbackup. can this be used for DD to connect through DDboost.

NetBackup Enterprise Server

OpenStorage Disk Option

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Your FE VTL Capacity license should do the trick - just looked on my system that has a capacity license and that does seem to be the option that does the trick - no Enterprise Disk listed

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Form where you extracted "OpenStorage Disk Option"?

NetBackup commands like bpminlicense or get_license_keys shows list of keys and its corresponding features. SKU name of license that supports VTL and OpenStorage in current licensing policy is Enterprise Disk Option(or NetBavkup Platform in capacity based license model). If these commands shows "OpeanStorage", OpenStorage will works on this host.

You purchased Enterprise Disk license in NetBackup 6.x or later, it supports both VTL and OpenStorage. But I'm not sure you have right to use OpenStorage if you upgraded from VTL license in NetBackup 5.x. The best way to confirm is to talk with the reseller or Symantec sales you purchased liceses from.

huanglao2002
Level 6

Yes ,you can.

From deivce wizard you can see openstorage option.