Dear,

I need a details steps for VCS with oracle agent in linux platform

Please help me...

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
Could you provide some more details on what kind of help or what steps are you looking for.?

If itzms basic installation of NetBackup then its just like normal client installation.. NetBackup client software is not cluster aware.

Usually Oracle database is also never directly configured with VCS as its an active passive cluster.. Oracle database in cluster is generally Active Active cluster and known as RAC in terms or configuration from Oracle side

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Unfortunately the NBU for Oracle manual is absolutely pathetic as far as failover cluster is concerned. 
There is an entire appendix dealing with RAC, but there is only reference to clustered master server under the topic :
"Requirements for using NetBackup for Oracle in a NetBackup cluster".
I mean, what is a 'NetBackup cluster'? 

The authors of NBU for MS-SQL manual did a much better job.... 
Well, the section in NBU for Oracle called 'Using NetBackup for Oracle in a Microsoft Windows cluster environment' is also good.  The same logic can be followed as far as script variables are concerned. 
There is also no indication as to whether Intelligent Policies are supported for failover clusters.

If you have a failover cluster with VCS Oracle and Listener agents with config similar to the example in vcs_oracle_agent manual :

OracleAgent.JPG

Your steps would be something like this: 

Install NBU client software on each node.  Use local nodename as Client name.
Run the oracle_link script on all nodes. 
Create policy with Client hostname associated with the the virtual IP address (IP_oraprod in the example).
Create backup scrips - manual says it must be local, but it works better if the script is on a fileover filesystem. This way, you only have one copy of the script to maintain. You will just need to whilelist the script location on each node (details in NBU for Oracle manual). 
Be sure that NB_ORA_CLIENT is added to the script. This will be the virtual hostname (same as Client name in the policy).
To allow restores from any node, altnames files must be configured on the master server (details in NBU for Oracle manual) as well as NB_ORA_CLIENT variable in the rman script/commands. 

**** EDIT ****

I just found this section in the RAC chapter that seems to indicate that failover cluster can be used for Intelligent Policies:

The NetBackup for Oracle Template Wizard and Oracle Intelligent Policy both work
well for backing up Oracle database instances. They can be used to backup Oracle
RAC (this should apply to failover cluster as well) when only a single host name or client name is needed to affect the backup.

Manual: 

NetBackup for Oracle Administrator's Guide